Porcelain Coors curved corner sign

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found awhile back,photo was taken with film ,just got the picture back. I almost did not dig this ,but because the signal was so large & square in shape,,,I dug it !!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Dates to the mid 1890s,fairly certain it ended up in the ground after a big fire in 1896. Dont know what else to say but WOOOOOW !!!! :icon_pirat: by far the best sign I've ever dug & in the best condition. HH

Attachments

• 12-1-2011 8;52;53 AM.jpg
    12-1-2011 8;52;53 AM.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,079
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, the iron has not bleed at all in 100 years, you are lucky :icon_thumright:

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Agreed, the iron has not bleed at all in 100 years, you are lucky :icon_thumright:

Wow! must have been found in very dry area, wondering if they had baked paint on steel process in those days? porcelain must have been very expensive.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice sign find Charlie! :o
I feel that your sign probably dates more in the 1920's or '30's. :icon_scratch:

I've contacted a friend of mine who's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to dating porcelain signs and I'll let you know what he has to say about it. :icon_thumright:

Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
I feel that your sign probably dates more in the 1920's or '30's. :icon_scratch:

I've contacted a friend of mine who's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to dating porcelain signs and I'll let you know what he has to say about it. :icon_thumright:

Dave

Charlie,
I just heard back from my friend and he states as follows about your sign . . .

"I would side with your friend. Signs like this were used by most large breweries before prohibition, and were displayed outside the doors of the saloons owned by the breweries. After Prohibition - in the '30s - neon signs were now available, and a combination of porcelain and neon signage became the norm."

Congrats again on your find! :hello2:
Dave

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havilah_Springs said:
Wow, that is awesome :thumbsup:
Where / what town did it come from? Somewhere in Colorado I presume!

H_S
Somewhere in CCColorado I presume :wink:

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:

Dave

Charlie,

"I would side with your friend. Signs like this were used by most large breweries before prohibition, and were displayed outside the doors of the saloons owned by the breweries. After Prohibition - in the '30s - neon signs were now available, and a combination of porcelain and neon signage became the norm."

Dave
Thanks Dave !!, With respect & not trying to sound like a know it all,I know this sign is not from the 20s or 30s. It was dug at the site of a Coors beer depot,and a Saloon that burned down in 1896 ,the site was not built on again (according to Sanborne fire maps )but it could have been dumped on ?? This one is actually the 2nd one found the first one we found on a lot about 5 blocks away and had been folded in half. I included a picture of a Coors corner sign for comparison,they are different signs,& the one in the photo is curved more,but are about the same age. HH

Attachments

• 12-4-2011 11;49;28 AM.jpg
    12-4-2011 11;49;28 AM.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 791

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure you know a lot more about The Coors Brewing Company then I do Charlie, living in Colorado and all! All I know about Coors is that they make the most popular 'light' beer available here in Canada, up here it's brewed by the Molson Brewery. :occasion14:

One nice thing about being a member of Tnet, is that I learn something new everytime I'm on the site! :laughing7:

Nice save on the sign! :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
I'm sure you know a lot more about The Coors Brewing Company then I do Charlie, living in Colorado and all! All I know about Coors is that they make the most popular 'light' beer available here in Canada, up here it's brewed by the Molson Brewery. :occasion14:

One nice thing about being a member of Tnet, is that I learn something new everytime I'm on the site! :laughing7:

Nice save on the sign! :thumbsup:

Dave
Thanks Dave !!!! Love that Molson's :occasion14:

Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PikesPeakCharlie said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:

Dave

Charlie,

Dave
Thanks Dave !!, With respect & not trying to sound like a know it all,I know this sign is not from the 20s or 30s. It was dug at the site of a Coors beer depot,and a Saloon that burned down in 1896 ,the site was not built on again (according to Sanborne fire maps )but it could have been dumped on ?? This one is actually the 2nd one found the first one we found on a lot about 5 blocks away and had been folded in half. I included a picture of a Coors corner sign for comparison,they are different signs,& the one in the photo is curved more,but are about the same age. HH

That is a fantastic find on the signs! You are right about it being from the late 1800's and design to fit on a post outside of the saloon. Was the folded sign still displayable?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome, that is most definitely my favorite beer too. Nothing beats an ice cold Coors Original.

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hotrodhudson48 said:
PikesPeakCharlie said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:
ANTIQUARIAN said:

Dave

Charlie,

Dave

That is a fantastic find on the signs! You are right about it being from the late 1800's and design to fit on a post outside of the saloon. Was the folded sign still displayable?
Hi, Yes the folded sign was still displayable and was sold the next week.

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstriking Michigan said:
Awesome, that is most definitely my favorite beer too. Nothing beats an ice cold Coors Original.
:icon_thumright: :headbang: :icon_thumright: :headbang:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sign is in superb shape! Were getting a decent week to go out and hunt, get another one!
Carl

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
That sign is in superb shape! Were getting a decent week to go out and hunt, get another one!
Carl
Carl, Good luck this week if ya get to go. Im really hopeing to fire up the machine and find some thawed ground in a month or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread