First Gold Coin !

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around three months ago I decided to go all out and purchase my second detector to have as a back up to the one I have been using for a few years. After it was delivered I decide to just unpack it and put it together with fresh new alkaline batteries. On the second day I thought I'd take it out to town, a once thriving mining town in the California Sierra foothills. I got permission to detect a residence in town whose house goes back to the 1870s and was located near what was than a grocery store. Thinking I may pick up some silver and who knows what, basically I was out to get familiar with the new detector. At first I was picking up modern nails, pennies, screw in electrical fuses, and trash. As I got closer to the property line and what was once a grocery store I got this good signal. I momentarily switched to disc to check if it was iron and gave a good solid signal. As I sunk my matlock into the dirt, came out what appeared to me I nickel, it was getting dark and I could not see very well. I did notice the weight and the lady liberty face. Its in great condition 1898 s liberty 5 dollar gold piece. My one and only gold coin find.. and ranks as one of my best finds.

Attachments

• 5$ gold piece 001.jpg
    5$ gold piece 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,607
  • 5$ gold piece 003.jpg
    5$ gold piece 003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2,592
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread