First Gold Coin !

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around three months ago I decided to go all out and purchase my second detector to have as a back up to the one I have been using for a few years. After it was delivered I decide to just unpack it and put it together with fresh new alkaline batteries. On the second day I thought I'd take it out to town, a once thriving mining town in the California Sierra foothills. I got permission to detect a residence in town whose house goes back to the 1870s and was located near what was than a grocery store. Thinking I may pick up some silver and who knows what, basically I was out to get familiar with the new detector. At first I was picking up modern nails, pennies, screw in electrical fuses, and trash. As I got closer to the property line and what was once a grocery store I got this good signal. I momentarily switched to disc to check if it was iron and gave a good solid signal. As I sunk my matlock into the dirt, came out what appeared to me I nickel, it was getting dark and I could not see very well. I did notice the weight and the lady liberty face. Its in great condition 1898 s liberty 5 dollar gold piece. My one and only gold coin find.. and ranks as one of my best finds.

Attachments

• 5$ gold piece 001.jpg
    5$ gold piece 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,606
  • 5$ gold piece 003.jpg
    5$ gold piece 003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2,591
Upvote 0

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would have given me a heart attack right there on the spot nice find !!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats bud!!There have been a "few",dug lately :wink:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1 said:
Around three months ago I decided to go all out and purchase my second detector to have as a back up to the one I have been using for a few years. After it was delivered I decide to just unpack it and put it together with fresh new alkaline batteries. On the second day I thought I'd take it out to town, a once thriving mining town in the California Sierra foothills. I got permission to detect a residence in town whose house goes back to the 1870s and was located near what was than a grocery store. Thinking I may pick up some silver and who knows what, basically I was out to get familiar with the new detector. At first I was picking up modern nails, pennies, screw in electrical fuses, and trash. As I got closer to the property line and what was once a grocery store I got this good signal. I momentarily switched to disc to check if it was iron and gave a good solid signal. As I sunk my matlock into the dirt, came out what appeared to me I nickel, it was getting dark and I could not see very well. I did notice the weight and the lady liberty face. Its in great condition 1898 s liberty 5 dollar gold piece. My one and only gold coin find.. and ranks as one of my best finds.

Nice coin, what do the owner of the residence think?

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Relichunter1 said:

Good question... :evil5: Well the agreement I had was if anything of great value was found I would show the owner. So I did, I gave them my word and I kept it. Because of this more detecting opportunities came forward. Basically this coin is in my possesion and I have bragging rights to it ;D. Actually this is something every detectorist should think about. My opinion is if someone gives you permission to detect their property have some sort of agreement :evil5: with the owner just in case something is found of value. Sharing finds or giving it to the owner has brought me more opportunity to detect other properties. than

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1 said:
CRUSADER said:
Relichunter1 said:

Good question... :evil5: Well the agreement I had was if anything of great value was found I would show the owner. So I did, I gave them my word and I kept it. Because of this more detecting opportunities came forward. Basically this coin is in my possesion and I have bragging rights to it ;D. Actually this is something every detectorist should think about. My opinion is if someone gives you permission to detect their property have some sort of agreement :evil5: with the owner just in case something is found of value. Sharing finds or giving it to the owner has brought me more opportunity to detect other properties. than
Same here :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred that is very commendable of you and very wise!!!We have always been the same way with our finds including several gold coins.
I have a very good friend that about 15 years ago was fortunate enough to dig a cache of $20 gold coins....9 of em.He had just gained permission on a small piece of hundreds of acres this family owns and had bad experiences with detectorists.Well he gifted five of the coins to five of the elder family members,and he is now the only one that can hunt there land and good word traveled and he has never had to ask for permission on any land since :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Fred that is very commendable of you and very wise!!!We have always been the same way with our finds including several gold coins.
I have a very good friend that about 15 years ago was fortunate enough to dig a cache of $20 gold coins....9 of em.He had just gained permission on a small piece of hundreds of acres this family owns and had bad experiences with detectorists.Well he gifted five of the coins to five of the elder family members,and he is now the only one that can hunt there land and good word traveled and he has never had to ask for permission on any land since :thumbsup:

I'm very glad to hear this, it restores some of my faith in mankind. :headbang:
The recent Twinstead Sovereign Hoard (which is a rally Shaun7 & I nearly attended) highlighted the greed & dishonesty in our hobby, it will be difficult to recover from this as so many of them were not honest. There were about 200 gold coins found to begin with & only 2 were handed in. Very poor reflection on us all, as the papers had a field day & all those that want to ban our hobby jumped on the opportunity to bad name us all. Since the Police have got involved, & several finders realised they may get caught, the coins slowly began to appear.

Sorry to divert from the find of a life time, but to me the best thing about it was your honesty. It will always keep you right, I know I have a collection that the dishonest can only dream about :tard: :icon_thumright:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:

I'm very glad to hear this, it restores some of my faith in mankind. :headbang:
The recent Twinstead Sovereign Hoard (which is a rally Shaun7 & I nearly attended) highlighted the greed & dishonesty in our hobby, it will be difficult to recover from this as so many of them were not honest. There were about 200 gold coins found to begin with & only 2 were handed in. Very poor reflection on us all, as the papers had a field day & all those that want to ban our hobby jumped on the opportunity to bad name us all. Since the Police have got involved, & several finders realised they may get caught, the coins slowly began to appear.

Sorry to divert from the find of a life time, but to me the best thing about it was your honesty. It will always keep you right, I know I have a collection that the dishonest can only dream about :tard: :icon_thumright:

:thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California Girl said:
Fantastic find. Hope I find one sometime. :headbang:
[uo

California, you will find one , just keep going out and you will be surprised what you will find. :o :o :o :o. It appears you have found some nice things for a beginner.Happy Hunting.. RelicHunter... :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Relic Hunter,,, That's not a relic. You better do the right thing, swing over to Central NY and burry it. No one hunts in Central NY........ :)
Actually-- - Thats really awesome ! You got me beat, I'm still waiting for one!
Take care,
Gary G.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread