1792 A French Colony of Cayenne Coin (Surface find)

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been metal detecting since last spring, It took a month or so before I found my first old coins, but it was at my aunts house, two indian head pennies in the same hole 2 inches down. Then, during the summer I started metal detecting an old farm house that my mom is renting. There is a large cellar hole in the front yard because the house was moved back further from the road a few years ago. The first place I started detecting was around the cellar hole. But within a month I could only find junk and clad. I was so discouraged I had a hard time getting out and trying, but finally I had a burst of encouragement and decided it was going to be my day. I got off the couch walked right up to the edge of the cellar hole, turned on my detector. Swung it once, and got a pulltab signal at 2 inches. I usually don't dig pulltab signals but its said 2 inches plus it was a clear loud hit. So I bent over getting ready to dig but I saw something on the surface of the ground. I picked it up and I thought it was a farmers token. It legibly read "2 SOUS". It was unbelievably thin. I later found it to be a 1792 (A mint mark) coin from the French Colony of Cayenne in French Guinea. Then later that day I found a four hole button military button from Paris on the other side of the cellar hole. We have been renting this house since and have gotten some pretty neat stuff out of it. Anyways, there's a video down below of the find.

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the French Colonies coin...should be some more oldies at that site.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an 1889 Indian Head Cent at the same house. Plus some old relics. It's definatly my favorite site. Finds are slowing down though....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one, and even 10 years older than you think, as I believe your coin is 1782.

Look careful for countermarks. The marked ones can be quite rare.

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Good one, and even 10 years older than you think, as I believe your coin is 1782.

Why do you think its from 1782?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NicktheMainer said:
Iron Patch said:

Why do you think its from 1782?

Because I think they only made them until 1789.

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear it looked like 1792 to me but the date is pretty worn... What does countermarked mean?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NicktheMainer said:
I swear it looked like 1792 to me but the date is pretty worn... What does countermarked mean?

Someone stamped something into the coin. Letters, or designs, etc. Here's an example - any stamp would be good.

Attachments

• tobago-sou-marque-contremarque-z801992.jpg
    tobago-sou-marque-contremarque-z801992.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,164
OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is not countermarked, I would upload a picture of it but for some reason the file is too large...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NicktheMainer said:
Mine is not countermarked, I would upload a picture of it but for some reason the file is too large...

Still a good find regardless, but being marked takes it to a whole other level. Have seen a few of those posted over the years but just a few.

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Front

Attachments

• coin2.png
    coin2.png
    29 KB · Views: 1,503
OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back

Attachments

• coin1.png
    coin1.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,530

Lloydd

Jun 22, 2004
Lewiston, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal. Whites DFX, Garrett 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Wonder why it ended up in Maine? In 1984 I was detecting in the British Virgin Islands on private land with permission and found 16 coins that were thin like yours. Most of them were Colonie de Cayenne and some were so worn I could not tell for sure. One was counterstamped with a T, for Tortola, and another was S.K. for Saint Kitts. Some others had marks in them but have not been able to figure them out. The coins had been brought to the islands for currency and stamped to indicate they were valid for use there. The coin with the T was stamped for use in 1801 if I remember correctly. The currency used in this country when we were British colonies were old worn out coins from other countries, just as these French Colony coins were used in the Islands, and perhaps why your coin appeared in Maine! Just guessing. Good luck in finding more history! Lloyd

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lloydd said:
Nice find! Wonder why it ended up in Maine? In 1984 I was detecting in the British Virgin Islands on private land with permission and found 16 coins that were thin like yours. Most of them were Colonie de Cayenne and some were so worn I could not tell for sure. One was counterstamped with a T, for Tortola, and another was S.K. for Saint Kitts. Some others had marks in them but have not been able to figure them out. The coins had been brought to the islands for currency and stamped to indicate they were valid for use there. The coin with the T was stamped for use in 1801 if I remember correctly. The currency used in this country when we were British colonies were old worn out coins from other countries, just as these French Colony coins were used in the Islands, and perhaps why your coin appeared in Maine! Just guessing. Good luck in finding more history! Lloyd

Do you still have them? I can probably ID the other marks.

Lloydd

Jun 22, 2004
Lewiston, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal. Whites DFX, Garrett 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the offer Iron Patch. I still have them but no photos and I am in Philadelphia area visiting for two weeks and the coins are home near Niagara Falls. I would be happy to photo them when I get home and have you give a try. I also found three silvers, one was completely worn the size of a half reale, the other two were cut from old Danish coins. One is a half coin with XII Skilling on one side and part of a crown on the other, no date anywhere. The other is a quarter coin but smaller in diameter again with no date and I don't remember other details. Will send photos later. Thanks again. Lloyd

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lloydd said:
Thanks for the offer Iron Patch. I still have them but no photos and I am in Philadelphia area visiting for two weeks and the coins are home near Niagara Falls. I would be happy to photo them when I get home and have you give a try. I also found three silvers, one was completely worn the size of a half reale, the other two were cut from old Danish coins. One is a half coin with XII Skilling on one side and part of a crown on the other, no date anywhere. The other is a quarter coin but smaller in diameter again with no date and I don't remember other details. Will send photos later. Thanks again. Lloyd

Sure thing Lloydd. Post some pics when you can, and maybe message me if they're on a new thread so I will see.

Cranman

Dec 1, 2011
Central NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool finds Nick, your post gives me incentive to get out there, I am new at this and still hoping to find just one old coin, old as in at least a wheat penny or *maybe* even silver!

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1782 A French Colony of Cayenne Coin (Surface find)

Cranman said:
Cool finds Nick, your post gives me incentive to get out there, I am new at this and still hoping to find just one old coin, old as in at least a wheat penny or *maybe* even silver!

If you work hard, it won't be long!

derfel

Feb 6, 2008
I have found 5-6 of these coins, i read somewhere that they were posibly counterfeit coins made in Birmingham England, its a very nice find keep searching

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lumber from Maine was shipped to this area, makes sense that coins would make the return trip.
Nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread