1877 Indian Head Penny WOW !!

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Being new to TN and this being my first post of my finds, I am tickled to death to be able to introduce myself
with such an awesome find ! I bought my first metal detector about 3 months ago under the enccouragement of my brother and the fact that I was always fascinated with his hobby. I bought a Whites XLT. It took me a while to get used to it and learn its personality but after a few outings we started getting along pretty well.
It just so happened that 3 weeks ago I was in a yard (without my brother and his advice) when I picked up a signal of a penny/dime about 8 inches deep. I started digging just hoping that my shovel would hold up as I have been through about 4 already when pretty as a picture (and all of 8 inches deep) out pops an Indian Head penny. I started cleaning it off and noticed that it was an 1877 and was excited still not knowing the demand for a coin like this...I was just happy that I found an Indian Head ! I finished digging in the yard and also found a Standing Liberty quarter with no date as it had rubbed away but was just as excited about it....still not knowing what the impact of the Indian Head would do to my brother. I came home and immediately called my bubby all proud of my finds. He informed me that the Indian was a really good find....probably worth about $30.00 and then his research on the penny started......3 days later....7 a.m. I get a phone call from him and needless to say a visit so that he himself may take a look just to make sure I wasnt mistaken....lol...he knows I need glasses. My penny is now soaking in olive oil !

Attachments

• P9240004.JPG
    P9240004.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 4,697
  • P9240003.JPG
    P9240003.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,566
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professional cleaning would be the only way to go. It may cost a bit but it'd be worth it!

Nice find!

HH

Count Boris

Jan 27, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's M6,White's Prizm IV,Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find. Can't wait to tell Chuck how your find kicks his Butt. Chat with you later.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
It doesn't get any better than that now does it...

Have found some good keydate Indians but not the elusive 1877!! Been swinging since 1983 and have found a bucketfull!! Congrats on a great find!!

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I wouldn't sell it either, unless your looking for cash now. I think one of the best investments are scarce and desirable coins, like yours, where there is a high demand from collectors. The fact that you found one in such good condition after being in the ground that long is remarkable. When I dig coins, they are very rarely in what I would call desirable condition for a collector. Anyway, that was a great find and I think your smart for holding on to it. It's only going to increase in value at a rate higher than you could get at any bank. BTW, welcome to TN and I hope you find a dozen more!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Detectingfreak said:
1877 indian head penny is really good! I wouldnt sell it unlesss you are very poor and need the money! :)

Of course not. Get it cleaned up nice and start a series collection...then sell! The whole is worth more than the sum of it's parts!

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550 w/ 4" coil and Garrett Ace 250
NEVER CLEAN YOUR COINS!! With that being said you can send in coins to NCS to have it conserved. DO not clean it wil peroxide, acetone or any other crap that you hear. You will destroy the value of the coin and it will not be preserved for the future. Call NCS and find out if you can send coins directly to them. Even if you have to pay a little $$$ it will be well worth your effort on a coin like that. I bet that coin has AU details left in her and someone would pay a lot of money for it after being conserved properly.

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
You can get NCS's Phone number here @ http://www.ncscoin.com Be sure to check out the gallery of before and after coins. You will really appreciate the good work that they do. Tom

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Sorry lucky i was trying to offer some alternative cleaning ideas

as for myself i could never afford to have all the above done with a coin unless i find one that someone is willing to pay me 2 lifetimes of wages for,that will then be a NCS fund.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i don't think you should do another thing to it ... the potential for loss or additional damage is too high

take it to a reputable dealer and ask their opinion, also ask if they think the grading services will actually slab it (sometimes they don't on damaged coins)

the details look VF but it will probably come back as VF with corrosion or F with corrosion (i forget the actual terminology they use on the label)

for what it's worth

vp

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
I am a reputible coin dealer that is why I am telling you this. If you take it to a coin dealer most likely they will try to get that coin for a cheap as possible like 200.00 - 400.00 less than what it is really worth. That is just my 2 cents. Tdec1000 Coins

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tdec1000 said:
I am a reputible coin dealer that is why I am telling you this. If you take it to a coin dealer most likely they will try to get that coin for a cheap as possible like 200.00 - 400.00 less than what it is really worth. That is just my 2 cents. Tdec1000 Coins

i agree with the $200 figure, about 20-25% less than what the coin might be expected to sell for, especially with damage which would make it harder to resell and definately throws an "unkown" into the equation

anything more than this figure, in my opinion would cast a shadow of doubt on the dealer's reputation and ethics

in my post though I didn't say to "sell the coin" just ask for his help and yes, the dealer might expect to be paid for this advice and the service of possibly getting it graded for you

hope this helps -

vp

OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thank you for all the input and advice!! To be honest with you...I havent done
anything with the coin as of this date but only put it away for safe keeping!
I get it out and admire its beauty every great once in awhile....and to be honest,
the detail...in this beginners opinion is quite outstanding.
Believe me, when and if I am ever going to do anything with this coin....I will make
sure that it is the right thing. I still cant believe that I found it... ;D
Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions