1877 Indian Head Penny WOW !!

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Being new to TN and this being my first post of my finds, I am tickled to death to be able to introduce myself
with such an awesome find ! I bought my first metal detector about 3 months ago under the enccouragement of my brother and the fact that I was always fascinated with his hobby. I bought a Whites XLT. It took me a while to get used to it and learn its personality but after a few outings we started getting along pretty well.
It just so happened that 3 weeks ago I was in a yard (without my brother and his advice) when I picked up a signal of a penny/dime about 8 inches deep. I started digging just hoping that my shovel would hold up as I have been through about 4 already when pretty as a picture (and all of 8 inches deep) out pops an Indian Head penny. I started cleaning it off and noticed that it was an 1877 and was excited still not knowing the demand for a coin like this...I was just happy that I found an Indian Head ! I finished digging in the yard and also found a Standing Liberty quarter with no date as it had rubbed away but was just as excited about it....still not knowing what the impact of the Indian Head would do to my brother. I came home and immediately called my bubby all proud of my finds. He informed me that the Indian was a really good find....probably worth about $30.00 and then his research on the penny started......3 days later....7 a.m. I get a phone call from him and needless to say a visit so that he himself may take a look just to make sure I wasnt mistaken....lol...he knows I need glasses. My penny is now soaking in olive oil !

Attachments

• P9240004.JPG
    P9240004.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 4,697
  • P9240003.JPG
    P9240003.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,566
Upvote 0

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana
My sis struck it rich with this one. The pictures I took don't do it much justice but you can see some real strong detail comming out of this coin. The feathers are strong and the RTY outside of the green crust is strong. If it weren't for the green crusty stuff this coin would easily grade extra fine. It's soaking in olive oil now but she needs some good advice as to what to do next to try and lift off the crust. I suggested to send it to an expert to remove the crust and then have it slabbed. WAY TO GO SIS!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of that coin is really outstanding. Probably dropped when it was still shiny. Olive oil is a good start. Careful with the cleaning!! That coin even in dug condition is worth more than 30 bucks. Last I recall they were worth a couple hundred dollars in G-4 condition. Yours should be worth at least that much because although the condition is higher it is dug. Good luck. Again, easy with the cleaning. I would use only the olive oil or a distilled water soak.

Congrats!

Buckleboy

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
HOLY MOLY!

A fabulous find. If it makes VF, my book says $1400. I'm sure the corrosion will dock the price, but even in Good condition- $575.

DEFINITELY take it to a professional unless you are willing to risk a big cut in value from improper cleaning.

CONGRATS!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i agree you need to be carefull with the cleaning. dont scratch it! i think i would try to research where i could get it profesionally conserved and then get it graded and slabbed. it is a spectacular find! the site i use to price coins has it listed at $ 700 in VF and $1500 in XF !

http://www.sammler.com/coins/coininfo.htm#US

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:D :D Luckysgirl: You really hit the Jackpot! Welcome to TN! If you can remove that Corrosion w/o disturbing the Patina, You've got a Winner! Coin World has a Dealer Buying VG 1877's for $655, & I think under all the gunk yours is better than that!

Be Careful with it! Keep us informed!

Joe 8)

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Lucky,
Congrats on finding the '77 Indian Head. That's fantastic. Hope the green crud can be removed.
Bob

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a find.........if I were you I would have that coin cleaned by someone that is experianced in cleaning rare coins. That one looks like it would turn out pretty nice and with a nice green patina.......Your looking at 1000.00 Dollars at least or more!!!!!!! Great find!
Seeker

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
1877 indian head penny is really good! I wouldnt sell it unlesss you are very poor and need the money! :)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so weres the quarter ::)

OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Baron Von De Kalb said:
so weres the quarter ::)

The quarter has been put away along with all the other coins I have found. I got so excited about the Indian Head that everything else was kinda shoved to the wayside. I have found alot of interesting things in the short time that
I have been digging including alot of other coins (wheats and silver) I will make a post this week under
"Todays Finds" showing them.
I will plan on finding a reputable coin expert and take the Indian Head in for proper care ! :)

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend you send your coin to NCS for conservation and encapsulation.

(NCS= Numismatic Conservation Services). It would be worth the expense of professional conservation and better than attempting to clean it yourself (though an olive oil soaking is safe enough).

http://www.ncscoin.com/

Congratulations on a truly spectacular find.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS- oops- I see on their submission page that NCS requires that one be an authorized dealer, a member of their Collectors Society, or a member of the American Numismatic Association.

http://www.ncscoin.com/auth_grading/how_to_submit.asp

I fit the third criterion with my ANA membership, so if you would like to submit the coin to NCS and need some help, let me know. I have never used NCS personally, so it would be a first for me. Check with coin dealers in your area first, of course. One of them might be an ANA member, if not an authorized NCS submitter.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice penny!!!! The detail is great, aside from the corrosion. Could be in AU shape aside from the corrosion, and that could bring you over $3,000

I recommend sending it here for grading, and ask them about how to handle the corrosion. Get it out of that olive oil!

http://www.pcgs.com

They are the best grading company in existence :) Highly trusted by everyone in the business.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCGS will not grade that coin, due to the environmental damage. Neither will NGC, except through their NCS subsidiary, which I mentioned in my previous post. I believe ANACS will grade it, though they recently discontinued their practice of net-grading "problem" coins.

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI
wow 1877 must be scarce i do not have one got a 1865 1876 &1879

Attachments

• md 005.jpg
    md 005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,996
OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions !!
I just got off the phone with a gentleman at Silvertowne and he has asked to see the coin
right away. I will make a post when I return to let you know what he has said.
Wish me luck ...... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread