How many penneys can fit in a 1950s Tennis Ball Can.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many penneys can fit in a 1950's Tennis Ball Can.

Been meaning to tell this tale but never got a chance to sit down and think about the details. About 15 years ago I ran in to a friend of my family who was elderly. He lived in a home that was built in the middle thirtys. I had asked him several times if I could MD his yard and he had always said call him and we would see. So, one day I just happened to see him on his front porch. I stoped my car , pulled my trusty White's 6000 out of the back seat and said to him, lets see what we can find. OK , he said and we started sweeping the yard. About an hour later and if I remember right six or seven coins..Wheats and one buffalo and some jeffersons we decided to quit. He said come on in and lets have a coke. We went into the house and sat at the dining room table for about a half an hour as I recounted some of my MD adventures.
After a while he said, you know something, I've got something you might be interested in. I said, OK, what? He went to a side board by the table and rummaged around inside for a moment and took out an old 1940's or 50's metal tennis ball can. The kind that held three balls. Sat it down on the table and said, you know I had forgotten about this untill we started talking about coins. He told me this story. His mom and dad owned a general store in Ohio around 1910 to 1920. Indian head penneys were going out of circulation and every time they got one in change they would put it in a box.
When they closed the store , I understand there was a box full of indian heads. My friend ended up with them and sometime during the 1950's put them in a metal tennis ball can. He poped the lid and out cascaded over three hundred Indian head Penneys! He said if you like I will sell them to you, I have no use for them. I did not even bother to check the dates. he counted them and I asked how much. His anwser was.. is 35 cents each too much? Needless to say I left with the tennis ball can and over 300 Indian Head Penneys. Over the years I have sold the early ones, but I still have several hundred from the 1850's on.. If I can find the Can, I'll take a photo of it. Its in a box somewhere.. I've got the penneys in holders and dated. Its just one of those things that happen once in a life time and when you least expect it.
Fun to remember, hope you enjoyed it. I'll try to find the can if enough are interested in seeing it. And I can take a photo of a big pile of the coins.
DG

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How many penneys can fit in a 1950's Tennis Ball Can.

you are asking a forum of metal detecting head cases
"want to see a coin cache i bought"
nah no need ::)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

arrogance can be confused with confidence ;) :-X

williefire

Feb 11, 2005
Statesboro Georgia

I thought it was a great Find.Who wouldnt like to get a buy like that , well i guess some MD Heads are above it, HUH ? Great Find !!!!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awosome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
were there any key dates in there?

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No real valuable ones, but the condition of about half of them was around EF-40 ..Full Libertys and strong detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread