My best/oldest U.S. coin

jimmyg8138

Greenie
Dec 22, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, GPX5000, White's Spectre 3, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium and Troy Shadow x5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN0440.JPG
    DSCN0440.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 797
  • DSCN0442.JPG
    DSCN0442.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 778
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jimmyg8138

Greenie
Dec 22, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, GPX5000, White's Spectre 3, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium and Troy Shadow x5
Primary Interest:
Coin is a 1796 half dime and had it rated at F12. The pix doesn't do this coin justice....Regards, Jim

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome coin! 8) I'm hoping for coin finds like that around here. Excellent find, Jimmy!

M

mrmark55

Excellent Find Jimmy!
Must be Nice!
God I love this hobby!
Mr Mark

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nice one Jimmy 8)

My oldest yet is the 64 Rosie to the left. When I get my new Garrett Ace 250.....hopefully by next weekend....maybe I'll do a little better.

OP
OP
J

jimmyg8138

Greenie
Dec 22, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hi AlwaysLookin: Where I found it was in a sandy portion about 15 yards from a lake shore. Believe the great condition is due to no fertilizer was used this close to the lake. It's in absolutely fantastic shape. Jim

OP
OP
J

jimmyg8138

Greenie
Dec 22, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The story of the finding of the 1796 half dime (kinda long)

Hello True: No but everytime I'm in the area, I spend at least a half hour back and forth. Not sure why that coin was there and in such great shape. Could be a collector dropped it. The story behind me finding it was: My brother was visiting us and as he was going to retire within the year, I asked him if he would like to see how the detector works (he's the analytical type). Well I gave him the detector and he wasn't comfortable with the sounds or process of swinging the coil back and forth. I then switched with him, gave him the digger and off we went. Not more than 10 minutes later, I heard this beautiful sound, and to my thinking, it was a pull tab. I asked him to dig the spot and after the first scoop I scanned the hole and said it's still in there. He dug out the second scoop and sure enough I saw this nice round shiny coin pop out. With my eyesight not the best, he picked up the coin and I asked him what is it. He said he's not sure but it says 1796. Me with my best gutter talk said stop
f*(*^(ng around and what is the date. He shoved the thing in my face and said look you SOB, it says 1796. So goes the story of the half-dime. That was with the Fisher CZ7. Since I had a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger that I wasn't using, I gave it to him to try to tweak his interest. He's tried it a few times and hopefully the bug will bit him as we are heading to the Dominican Republic in a few weeks and I'll bring my two detectors with me and hopefully find something good on the beach.
We return on the 19th of Jan and I'll post our findings then. Take care and Happy New Year to you and yours. JIm

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Hey Jim that is one sweet coin! You say it sounded like a pulltab???? You gonna be digging a lot of tabs! Cladius.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, Jimmy! 8) Keep at that spot as there might be more. Love that Colonial Silver. Happy Holidays to you too 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread