Best of The Best: 2011 will be hard to top!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
While 2011 was a less than spectacular year in general for many, it was a superb year metal detecting for me !

The year started off on a high note with one of my best finds to-date; a complete colonial era silver cufflink. Ironically, my last find in 2010 was a similar cufflink found 200 feet away from the other!

066a.JPG

While I did not find many large coppers, there were a few nice silver coins, including half reales. One was a Corolus V dated 1790. Another, although more recent, was an unusual King Ferdinand VII coin dated 1820.

007.JPG
008.JPG

002.JPG
005.JPG

I got out to The Shore and did some beach detecting, which was new to me. There was plenty of silver, but during the month of September I went for the gold with a nice 14K Soviet made wedding band and an 18K gold signet ring. The timing was perfect and after unsuccessfully trying to locate the owners, the gold was sold (while gold was around $1900 per ounce) giving me an extra pay check!

006aa.JPG
005-1.JPG

Buttons were flowing freely, finding more than 200 over the course of the year. A few were modern, but the vast majority are pre-Civil War era.

003.JPG

Speaking of flowing, of course I need to mention my find of a lifetime, the 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime! This one will be tough to top-ever!

005a.JPG
008.JPG

Happy hunting in 2012, everyone!

Upvote 1

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:o
Wow Neil! Your coin is one dreams are made of and it looks spectacular. You had an amazing year and I wish you continued success in '12!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds,I would like to find a flowing hair enything. Happy hunting.:leprechaun-hat:

Tdug1

Greenie
May 23, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a find of a lifetime in my opinion...

Congrats

SAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread