Oldest Coin

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
shanegalang said:
What is the oldest coin you have found metal detecting? What detector were you using? Where did you find it? Please post a picture of it too. :)

For me, its a 1891 Indian Head, found in a dirt pile from a construction site at an old church in Holyoke, Ma. I did find a 1849 trade token at a park. Hopefully this year I will do a little more colonial site hunting.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
shanegalang,Oldest[SO FAR!!!]1723 Hibernia,Whites M-6,long gone Apple Orchard here in town. God Bless Chris

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,167
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,029

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this forum and I'm just getting back to MDing after several years away. Plus, I'm not at all confident of my ability to post images, but I'll try.

In 2001 I was hunting with friends in Macedonia, in a known Roman-occupied area (yes, like most of the rest of Macedonia). I think I was using a Garrett 2500. We were probably in an area where a small market once stood and we were finding a few small things. Among them was this little bronze coin:

Twins-1.jpg

Twins-2.jpg

I'm told it is a coin commemorating the 700th year since the founding of Rome, which would put it at around 52-53 BC. You can just barely make out Romulus and Remus suckling the she-wolf on the reverse. Her head is on the left side and she's looking over her left shoulder down at the twins. If it is other than this, maybe one of you Roman coin experts can clear it up for me. That's what I was told at the time.

6-7 years ago I was detecting with a site archaeologist on his site in the Republic of Georgia. That day I found the only known example of a silver Macedonian denarius depicting Philip of Macedon ever found in Georgia. When I showed it to the archaeologist he said it couldn't be, because they'd never found one before. I told him I had found a similar coin in Macedonia and I was pretty sure that's what it was. Yes, quite a coincidence. When he finally confirmed it, it (and a Roman snake-head hairpin that I also found) became the subject of a presentation at a national conference there. Unfortunately, I don't have any images of them to share and the originals are now in a museum. That was actually the oldest coin I have ever found. I doubt that I will ever have the chance to detect in an ancient land again, but it sure was a lot of fun back then.

Enjoy. I'm looking forward to participating here.

Chuck

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck In Oregon said:
I'm new to this forum and I'm just getting back to MDing after several years away. Plus, I'm not at all confident of my ability to post images, but I'll try.

In 2001 I was hunting with friends in Macedonia, in a known Roman-occupied area (yes, like most of the rest of Macedonia). I think I was using a Garrett 2500. We were probably in an area where a small market once stood and we were finding a few small things. Among them was this little bronze coin:

I'm told it is a coin commemorating the 700th year since the founding of Rome, which would put it at around 52-53 BC. You can just barely make out Romulus and Remus suckling the she-wolf on the reverse. Her head is on the left side and she's looking over her left shoulder down at the twins. If it is other than this, maybe one of you Roman coin experts can clear it up for me. That's what I was told at the time.

6-7 years ago I was detecting with a site archaeologist on his site in the Republic of Georgia. That day I found the only known example of a silver Macedonian denarius depicting Philip of Macedon ever found in Georgia. When I showed it to the archaeologist he said it couldn't be, because they'd never found one before. I told him I had found a similar coin in Macedonia and I was pretty sure that's what it was. Yes, quite a coincidence. When he finally confirmed it, it (and a Roman snake-head hairpin that I also found) became the subject of a presentation at a national conference there. Unfortunately, I don't have any images of them to share and the originals are now in a museum. That was actually the oldest coin I have ever found. I doubt that I will ever have the chance to detect in an ancient land again, but it sure was a lot of fun back then.

Enjoy. I'm looking forward to participating here.

Chuck
:read2:

Your coin is a City Commemorative AE Follis, depicting helmeted bust of Roma left , and Romulus & Remus, she wolf suckling twins on the reverse (my favourite roman reverse) the coin though dates to the 4th century AD, not BC.

SS

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. THAT was fast.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm very pleased to have the correct information.

Chuck

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck In Oregon said:
Wow. THAT was fast.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm very pleased to have the correct information.

Chuck
:icon_thumleft:

Your welcome, and welcome to Treasure net. :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TN Chuck! and thanks for your contribution, very nice and I doubt anyone will have anything older!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is another token I am not sure of. If you look close you will see he has a large nose and pointed chin. I have sent a picture of the coin to a dealer to see if it is a new never seen Blacksmith token. The back of the coin is blank unless it is worn out. The blacksmith tokens were made to look like a wore out British coppers, they would throw the tokens in the fire to blacken them to hide all the imperfections of a bad stamping. It could be just an old worn copper but who knows? I think I was using my whittes 5900 at the time, it came from an old tavern site. HH

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,605

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My oldest coin is a 1563 Elizabeth I sixpence found here in southeast VA at a very early colonial homesite. It was part of a small cache of hammered silver coins. At this same site I also dug several other 1500s sixpences as well as a number of sixpences, shillings and half crowns from 1600-1640. Twenty-six in all I believe. Gonna be hard to get much older than that here in the US.

Attachments

• hammered69.jpg
    hammered69.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,900

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:
My oldest coin is a 1563 Elizabeth I sixpence found here in southeast VA at a very early colonial homesite. It was part of a small cache of hammered silver coins. At this same site I also dug several other 1500s sixpences as well as a number of sixpences, shillings and half crowns from 1600-1640. Twenty-six in all I believe. Gonna be hard to get much older than that here in the US.
:o

Bill I never get sick of seeing that picture :icon_thumleft:

SS

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:

What a spectacular find. They are probably 300 years older than the oldest coins to be found here in Oregon. Well done.

Chuck

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I found my oldest this year, 1723 King George [Very worn]at a old church site. bottom pic
A 1730 KG in a corn field.Oldest US silver 1842 seated dime. Oldest silver 1806 1/2 reale

Attachments

• scan0016.jpg
    scan0016.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,786

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is a 1891 O morgan found with my ace 250 back in late summer

morgan3.jpg

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is a 1783 1/2 reale found my first day out with my 5" coil. was 7 or 8 inches deep in a bed of nails.

Attachments

• spanish silver 001.JPG
    spanish silver 001.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,565
  • spanish silver 003.JPG
    spanish silver 003.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,526
  • spanish silver 003.JPG
    spanish silver 003.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,468
  • spanish silver 001.JPG
    spanish silver 001.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,452
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Fascinating coins!! Keep em coming :)

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my best day detecting as far as old coins go, I use a GARRETT AT Pro, my find today was a Barber half 1899 and 3 Indian head penny's a 1864, 1905 and one that is unreadable as of now. :headbang:

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
flakefinder said:
Today was my best day detecting as far as old coins go, I use a GARRETT AT Pro, my find today was a Barber half 1899 and 3 Indian head penny's a 1864, 1905 and one that is unreadable as of now. :headbang:
Great hunt!! Congratulations :hello2:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a crusty old large cent working an old baseball field here in hamlin Pa- I think it said 1829 or 1825 it's hard to read - ...and I didn't want to do anything to it in an attempt to clean it up. :) it's a weird find for that area since it was a ball field since the 1930-40s and it's been hit to death. I thought it was going to be a wheat according to the ETrac so I was surprised when this popped out of the plug. kind of bummed there wasn't more silver at this location- (knowing it was hit to death) I found only one rosey dime, and one kids junk ring...the oldest thing I found at this location besides this coin was a few wheats and a 1937 indian head nickel. glad I got to find what I could find...

Attachments

• IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,192
  • IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,180

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread