Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHEN THIS WAS FOUND I WASN'T POSTING ON THE TREASURE NET FORUM. I REALIZE THERE ARE ALOT OF COIN HUNTERS THAT REGULARLY POST ON THIS SITE SO I THOUGHT I'D SHARE THIS FIND. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THIS COIN WAS MINTED FIRST IN 1795 WITH A FEW DATED 1794. HISTORICALLY SPEAKING THIS COIN IS AMONG A FEW REPRESENTING THE BIRTH OF AMERICAN COINAGE. THE ONLY HALF DIMES THAT PREDATE THIS ONE ARE THE HALF DIMES MADE IN 1792, MOSTLY THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, THOMAS JEFFERSON, AND ALEXANDER HAMILTON TO MOVE THE UNITED STATES TO A DECIMAL COINAGE SYSTEM. IT WAS FOUND IN VIRGINIA NOT TO FAR FROM WILLIAMSBURG, THE BIRTHPLACE OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE MANY COINS IN MY COLLECTION. DEVONREX

Attachments

• P1100095.JPG
    P1100095.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,079
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REVERSE OF 1794 HALF DIME

Attachments

• P1100096.JPG
    P1100096.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,053

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Devonrex said:
REVERSE OF 1794 HALF DIME

Nice coin - I think I remembered you from one of the "other" sites years back. I use to post there as DaninEasternNC. Since moved to VA.

Dan

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
wow that's awesome, great find, hopefully there are a few more around here to find.

Just some caution, I'd get that in a holder that better matches the size, it could get some scratches if there is any dirt in there while it's sliding around.

Great Coin.

:icon_thumleft:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
BobinSouthVA said:
wow that's awesome, great find, hopefully there are a few more around here to find.

Just some caution, I'd get that in a holder that better matches the size, it could get some scratches if there is any dirt in there while it's sliding around.

Great Coin.

Not just a holder its size, but shouldn't that be authenticated, graded and made a little more secure?

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Wow, what a great dig! As a date, the 1794 half dime is much scarcer than its 1795 counterpart. High grade 1794 half dimes are a real beast to locate, and the competition for them in auctions is fierce.

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
BobinSouthVA said:

Great Coin.

Not just a holder its size, but shouldn't that be authenticated, graded and made a little more secure?

I absolutely agree. You'll eventually sell or leave this coin to someone. It deserves the best possible protection and identification for when that day comes and for enjoying it until then. What a nice find.

Chuck

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wowzers...amazing find!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find John! Glad to see you posting again. Looking forward to seeing more of your usual high quality relics. HH ..... Bill

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow when did you find this? and i nominated this for the top banner but i think it may need more info to make it there. :wav:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome Find & Welcome to TreasureNet !

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beautiful coin! Thanks for posting! Shane

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
treasurepirate1 said:
wow when did you find this? and i nominated this for the top banner but i think it may need more info to make it there. :wav:

Unfortunately this one would not qualify for the banner under the rules that it has to be a recent find, although it is banner worthy for sure.

I have only seen approximately 5 Flowing Hair Half Dimes over the years, and all (mine included) were dated 1795. Additionally all but one were dug here in New Jersey!

I sent mine out for grading and it came back "XF Details- Damaged" as I expected it would. I sold mine recently for $3,500. If it was not marked damaged it would have sold for double or triple.

Do yourself a big favor and if you do not get it graded, put it in an airtight holder. If that one has PVC it will ruin the coin!!!

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Nice coin. It is believed the George Washington donated the silver for the first half dimes. I want to say he donated a 100 oz. of silver.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an incredible coin that would be welcomed in ant collection. The button in your avatar will turn more than a few heads too!
Keith

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
treasurepirate1 said:

Unfortunately this one would not qualify for the banner under the rules that it has to be a recent find, although it is banner worthy for sure.

I have only seen approximately 5 Flowing Hair Half Dimes over the years, and all (mine included) were dated 1795. Additionally all but one were dug here in New Jersey!

I sent mine out for grading and it came back "XF Details- Damaged" as I expected it would. I sold mine recently for $3,500. If it was not marked damaged it would have sold for double or triple.
Do yourself a big favor and if you do not get it graded, put it in an airtight holder. If that one has PVC it will ruin the coin!!!
Neil i'v always wondered what you did with that coin, too bad about the "damage". but still a great sell.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazin coin. Thanks for the info behind it as well ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread