My 4 Counterfeit 8 Reales

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I would post my 4 - 8 Reales I have dug over the past 4 years here in KY.
All 4 are counterfeits but only two of them have great detail.
Maybe one day I'll get a real one, not that it matters, I kinda like the counterfeits :icon_pirat:.

Happy Hunting,
HB

Attachments

• Counterfeits 008.jpg
    Counterfeits 008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Counterfeits 009.jpg
    Counterfeits 009.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,589
Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My 4 8s'

This is a KILLER post! You have been one incredible digger of Spanish since I've known you. Not a single spanish has escaped your coil. It's about time I dig another one. You "dug all my old coins" since 2007. :laughing9:

Thanks for posting this. You are the only digger I know who has dug four!

Best Wishes,

Buck

U

umrgolf

BuckleBoy said:
This is a KILLER post! You have been one incredible digger of Spanish since I've known you. Not a single spanish has escaped your coil. It's about time I dig another one. You "dug all my old coins" since 2007. :laughing9:

Best Wishes,

Buck

yes, counterfeit or not, those are not easy to find or you'd see them posted all the time.. Still waiting on something bigger than a 2

and I'll probably be waiting for a long time in Missouri :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My friend found a counterfeit one that was pretty toast. I dug a 1777 that's completely bubbled on one side and even though it looks authentic and silver, I question it a little bit. I knew silver coins turned black for fire, but not sure at what point they bubble.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are any of those solid silver, or are they silver washed pewter or something else?

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Those are really cool 8s HB!! Most relic hunters never find a single one, and you've got four! Excellent post and continued happy hunting! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Steve in PA said:
Are any of those solid silver, or are they silver washed pewter or something else?

Top 2 are for sure pewter, the bottom left I would guess to be silver washed pewter.
The bottom right one I dug recently and I believe it is silver. I'm going to take to a jeweler and get it tested and weighed today, will let you know the results.

Iron Patch said:
My friend found a counterfeit one that was pretty toast. I dug a 1777 that's completely bubbled on one side and even though it looks authentic and silver, I question it a little bit. I knew silver coins turned black for fire, but not sure at what point they bubble.

I believe the top 2 were in a fire at some point. Top right seems to have bubbled, you can still see the pillars and shield if you looks close enough.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Excellent finds, adding Spanish silver to a collection in Kentucky takes Great research and perseverance.
You finding four 8 reales here only shows that there is no limit to your recoveries.

stay the course, Bill

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My 4 - 8 Reales

I found something the other day similar to the ones on top. My machine registered it as high silver numbers but I don't think it's a real reale. I can make out some detail on one side that looks like an L. It weighs 37.1 grams. A magnet won't stick to it but I don't have a test kit.

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

s.c.shooter said:
I found something the other day similar to the ones on top. My machine registered it as high silver numbers but I don't think it's a real reale. I can make out some detail on one side that looks like an L. It weighs 37.1 grams. A magnet won't stick to it but I don't have a test kit.

Show us a good pic :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would take a counterfeit any day!You are the only guy I know to have dug four let alone four C.F.'s!!!Too cool bud!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm still looking for my first one and if I do find one in the woods, no doubt it will be a counterfeit like yours are, fine by me, but the ones being found on the beach are the real deal, and I stand a better chance there if I ever get down there and try.............Nice going of FOUR of them!!

Don

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
You "dug all my old coins" since 2007. :laughing9:

I did not!
These all came from sites of mine :tongue3: You just happened to witness 2 of them being dug :laughing9:.

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

umrgolf said:
BuckleBoy said:

Best Wishes,

Buck

yes, counterfeit or not, those are not easy to find or you'd see them posted all the time.. Still waiting on something bigger than a 2

and I'll probably be waiting for a long time in Missouri :laughing7:

Your right Jeff, I haven't seen any counterfeits posted, much less the real ones.
Good luck out there in Missouri

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

PinFire said:
Those are really cool 8s HB!! Most relic hunters never find a single one, and you've got four! Excellent post and continued happy hunting! :icon_thumright:

Thanks PF, they are obviously out there, now go find one. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

kuger said:
I would take a counterfeit any day!You are the only guy I know to have dug four let alone four C.F.'s!!!Too cool bud!

This last one I thought was for sure silver, and still do. I had it weighed and tested and it's obviously counterfeit.
I'm with you, I'll take all the cft's I can get, a real one would be nice too :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
I'm still looking for my first one and if I do find one in the woods, no doubt it will be a counterfeit like yours are, fine by me, but the ones being found on the beach are the real deal, and I stand a better chance there if I ever get down there and try.............Nice going of FOUR of them!!

Don

Amazing to me you have never found one Don. You have found many other coins that I will never find here. Now get out there on that beach and find you one.

Thanks,
HB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HILL BILLY said:
BuckleBoy said:
You "dug all my old coins" since 2007. :laughing9:

I did not!
These all came from sites of mine :tongue3: You just happened to witness 2 of them being dug :laughing9:.

"As if it weren't bad enough with the competition in my area..." :laughing7:

Maybe you should practice "catch and release" so the next guy could dig one. :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o

Judging by the replys of the guys over there, you have beaten the odds BIG style on those four finds :o Quite Amazing really :headbang:

SS

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Silver Searcher said:
:o

Judging by the replys of the guys over there, you have beaten the odds BIG style on those four finds :o Quite Amazing really :headbang:

SS

Thanks SS, looking for number 5 :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread