SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a shot of all my 1500s sixpences

Someone asked me to post them all, so here they are. They include the following dates (as best as I can tell): 156?, 1563, 1567, 1569, 1570, 1573, 1587 (the latest one), and 1594. The obverse side of Lizzies tend to wear quickly so I'm just showing that side for one of the coins that has the best look. Other than the most recent find, the other 7 came from one small site and were part of the 2 scattered caches I dug there. I believe my total hammered silver count is now 22, and all were dug in Va soil. I believe 19 came from that one site (along with 7 or 8 others dug by my friends), and the other 3 came from 3 separate sites in various parts of the Tidewater. I only found 2 hammereds in the first 10-12 years of serious colonial hunting, but 20 more in the last 3 years. I'm liking that trend.

Attachments

• 1500s2.JPG
    1500s2.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 924
Upvote 0

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's a shot of all my 1500s sixpences

How deep were the 7 you found in caches? I think I remember you borrowed a GPX before you bought your own. Did you find any with the F75 and if so, what did they sound like and what did they read on the vdi? Thanks!!! You SE VA fellas are killing it lately :headbang:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Nothing i can add to that!!!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you know what you are doing to the rest of us!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jonnie

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bill D,

That's about as old as it gets coin wise in North America....I seem to recall Frontierwest loaning you the GPX for that old plantation dig....here's hoping you find many more.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

joeyfresh said:
How deep were the 7 you found in caches? I think I remember you borrowed a GPX before you bought your own. Did you find any with the F75 and if so, what did they sound like and what did they read on the vdi? Thanks!!! You SE VA fellas are killing it lately :headbang:

Joey - the first ones I found were not deep at all (less than 6") and one was actually laying on top of the ground. Later after I had dug one from about 10-12" in another spot I rechecked the hole and there were several more down deep, probably 18" or so and below the plowline. So they had obviously been intentionally buried there. I think there were actually 2 small buried caches that were partially scattered by the plow over the years. I found all the original ones with an MXT. Then last year about this time I borrowed a friend's GPX-4000 and found 3 more, and one was dug from 22". The sixpence I just dug on Tues registered in the upper 60s with my F75. That might sound low for a large diameter silver coin, but you have to realize the hammered coins are very thin. The shillings come in a bit higher, and that huge and thick half crown came in like a half dollar. If you're interested in reading the article I wrote for American Digger about the coin finds shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you. We found other stuff at the site that you might be interested in as well.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Bill, that is an awesome handful of history right there. Thanks for posting them up.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

That is some serious detecting finds :thumbsup:

I have never heard of one found here or in New England :icon_scratch:

Whats the story behind them..

Blaze

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mindblowing that those are from the states! Awesome saves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread