My best find isnt even metal??

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best find isn't even metal??

I found this whole and complete, fossilized, box turtle shell on a metal detecting hunt in an area that was in the process of being developed. I noticed it in an outcropping of limestone boulders piled up in the corner of a field. It was extreamly difficult to dislodge it from the limestone, and ended up using a chisel and mini sledge... I've talked to fossil experts and they all say the same thing..... It's very rare to find a whole turtle shell, unbroken, and fossilized. 98% of the time it's found in bits and pieces. I've only seen a few examples on the internet. Perhaps you remember my frantic postings of this find here in the forum back in 2009.

I still want to have the thing expertly cleaned, and have the rest of the limestone removed... At the time, I knew a fossil guy who said he'd take it with him to the fossil cleaning experts he had used in the past, to have it worked on... But alas... the guy turned out to be all talk and no action, and it never pulled through. Anyway, it's still my current best, and most valuable find. If anyone is interested, I believe there's other pictures around here from my original postings including a photo of how I found it, in the original limestone boulder.

Attachments

• BoxTurtleFossil.jpg
    BoxTurtleFossil.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,546
  • BoxTurtleFossil2.jpg
    BoxTurtleFossil2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,529
Upvote 1

SILENTHAWK72

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice turtle , go to your nearest University and ask for the anthropologist

AZguy

Greenie
Apr 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is incredibly cool!

Browsing the pages upon pages of awesome finds on this site has me excited to go out on my first MD adventure tomorrow morning!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread