1945 Mercury dime SUPER ERROR

OP
OP
X
Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reason why I know it's a 4 is that if you look closely there is the 4 outline but NO signs of tampering on this coin. All other numbers and letters as well as portrait have high relief. The outline of 4 is as smooth as silk.

OP
OP
X
Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me get a high detail photo of this...you'll be baffled just like I am.

OP
OP
X
Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• rsz_dscf2269.jpg
    rsz_dscf2269.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 4,458

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better view of the date...rr

Attachments

• rsz_dscf2269 merc_crop_crop.jpg
    rsz_dscf2269 merc_crop_crop.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 6,466
OP
OP
X
Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Now, I've done some research recently and come to the conclusion that the die was greasy/clogged therefore the "4" wasn't able to be properly/fully struck. Also, there are people claiming this is "common". This is NOT common as far as I'm concerned. If it was common, it would be all over the place. Try and get $1,000s of dollars in bank rolls and sort them out...you'll probably not find it.

OP
OP
X
Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xtremecollections said:
Thanks! Now, I've done some research recently and come to the conclusion that the die was greasy/clogged therefore the "4" wasn't able to be properly/fully struck. Also, there are people claiming this is "common". This is NOT common as far as I'm concerned. If it was common, it would be all over the place. Try and get $1,000s of dollars in bank rolls and sort them out...you'll probably not find it.
Actually, I'm going to get around $700 worth of coins tomorrow and see what I get lol!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Xtremecollections said:

It might be common for mercs, but it is not easy to find mercs in circulation.

OP
OP
X
Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
Xtremecollections said:

It might be common for mercs, but it is not easy to find mercs in circulation.
There you go...but it isn't that common for mercs actually. There are certain years this happens and not all years. I just found a lincoln penny that's missing a 1 in the end. It's a wheat 195. with the "1" barely visible. Very nice! It's so strange that I posted this and NEVER found one before but now that I spent money to change to bank rolls, I found one lol!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your missing digit is a filled die error. Generally, missing digits or mint marks on modern coins are due to filled die errors where dirt, grease or debris fills the recesses of a die not allowing the number or mark to strike up. The metal from the blank can’t flow into that area to receive the impression. This problem usually only lasts for one or two coins until the foreign material falls out of the die.
The coin would be valuable if the die that struck the coin was missing the date digit or a mint mark. That means that others would exist creating a new variety, not unlike a doubled die, where the flaw is in the die and every coin struck from that die shows the same error.
Filled die errors are common and inconsistent and add no value to the coin unless the filled die error is severe.
Source: http://coinsite.com/filled-die-error-coin-2/
Don........
PS: Yes, it is a very interesting coin.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
How about the 5? Seems smaller and lower than the 19.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions