Last edited:
Upvote 16

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the identical Rolex Submariner. It's the most faked watch in the world, but comparing this one to mine it certainly looks genuine.

The cyclops eye magnifier over the date is a good indicator that it's real. The fakes don't actually magnify the date.

Also, the wording on the face appears identical to mine; on the fakes it's typically larger and in other ways different.

Of course, if it's working, that the best sign as fakes wouldn't withstand being lost at sea.

Quick tip to tell a real Submariner: the bezel only moves in one direction; with fakes the bezel will move in both directions.

Another tip for Rolex: Rolexes have sweep second hands, this means they move smoothly instead of in a jerk for each second. It used to be that a sweep second hand was a good sign you had a real Rolex, but it means nothing now as many fakes have Japanese movements with sweep second hands. If you listen to one of these fakes, you'll hear that the movement crashes and bangs like a middle school band, whereas a real Rolex movement is quiet and smooth.

Last edited:

kaa

Oct 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread! The story w/ the lifeguard being so, this wouldn't apply, but if I was caught in possession of something valuable, and it's got a serial number, I'd be worried that someone could claim I stole it.

I'd return the item, if the owner could be found, because I'd want someone to do the same for me, you know that old phrase, "do unto others as you'd have done to you." If God wanted me to have something valuable, I'm sure he could manage to arrange it so that the owner could not be found :P

Besides all that, a $5000 watch kinda doesn't match anything else I own. I'd look ridiculous ;)

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW.... Amazing find.. Congrats.. Once in a life time

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary, that's killer!

I have always wished that I would find a Rolex. . . I got my wish last week.
Not what I expected LOL. . .

My Rolex.JPG

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say GARY you get the hell on my nerves!! hahahaha lol!! I am kidding buddy now don't forget you told me when I come to florida to look you up and you would point me in the right direction, maybe instead of pointing you can take this medically retired Marine corps vet to a good spot good buddy! Again loved the ctx book, very good read.... Keep killing it down there man!! somebody misses this baby for SURE!!!!!!
This shallow water hunting find reminds me that it is always time to go water hunting in South Florida.
HH Gary

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't think twice about it going in my pocket. Just like finding a big bag of cash, if you have 30,000 grand in a paper bag in a cab. Then you are doing something you shouldn't. And even so you should have been more careful with it. It wouldn't leave my grasp. A find is a find, do you all make a effort to return coins you find. Nope in your pocket, and no it doesn't matter if its old or new it still was somebody. And I know some do try on private land but I've read hundreds of posts that say they'll show the owners the junk and hide the good stuff.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I own the identical Rolex Submariner. It's the most faked watch in the world, but comparing this one to mine it certainly looks genuine.

The cyclops eye magnifier over the date is a good indicator that it's real. The fakes don't actually magnify the date.

Also, the wording on the face appears identical to mine; on the fakes it's typically larger and in other ways different.

Of course, if it's working, that the best sign as fakes wouldn't withstand being lost at sea.

Quick tip to tell a real Submariner: the bezel only moves in one direction; with fakes the bezel will move in both directions.

Another tip for Rolex: Rolexes have sweep second hands, this means they move smoothly instead of in a jerk for each second. It used to be that a sweep second hand was a good sign you had a real Rolex, but it means nothing now as many fakes have Japanese movements with sweep second hands. If you listen to one of these fakes, you'll hear that the movement crashes and bangs like a middle school band, whereas a real Rolex movement is quiet and smooth.

You got that right except for the magnifier over the date. When I lived in Korea back in 86 I bought a new "Rolex" for $25. It had the magnifier over the date. It was a nice watch. I wore it till the fake diamonds around the face started coming out and getting stuck between the hands and the face, stopping the watch. Like you said the second hand has the jerk motion. I was told they have Seiko watch parts inside. Since I don't wear it anymore maybe I should bury it somewhere so someone will find it and put their find on here. Lol!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's mine, found 8" deep in wet sand at minus tide about 15 years ago or so... (San Diego area)

Note this is a 'red letter' edition, highly collectible, circa 1971-2. Perfect working condition!

Attachments

• RolexX2.jpg
    RolexX2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking watch, Gary. Great find!

treasurefisher

Greenie
Sep 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apart from the value it'S a beautiful watch. I'd be tempted to hang on to that one

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Rolex , it was a gift from my wife . And no it can not be replaced ! It is irreplaceable ! We are not rich but have made decisions over the years that afford us a comfortable life . If mine was lost I hope the person who finds it has enough morals to return it . JMHO

I hear ya one that one. It's alway a good thing to return something that was lost. I've lost things in the past that are irreplaceable and once it was found I wasn't able to get those said things back. The guy was a total idiot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread