Cache of Five and a Half Clad Quarter Rolls

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday I went to detect along some train tracks next to a shopping center. After several hours hadn't found anything remarkable and was ready to pack it in, as the only good-looking area left was near a busy street and I didn't feel like being ogled. But I did scout that area out and found a neat button that looked old so decided to do it.

Pretty soon I found an intact roll of quarters! :hello2: I started finding loose singles near there, and a foot away found a half-roll, then another full roll. Then found yet another full roll 10 feet away, and another 15 feet away. Total for the day was 4 and a half rolls, plus 32 loose quarters. And to top it off at the very end found a 1940 nickel. :hello2:

After Sunday's NASCAR race I headed back to double-check the area. It has many patches of iceplant, which is a real pain to detect over/under/around. But I managed to find 12 more loose quarters plus another full roll! And only 15 minutes after starting I'd found a 1940S Merc!

It's been a fantasy of my mom and I too find a roll of coins, and 5 1/2 quarter rolls sure fulfills it! Total count was 263 quarters--$65.75!! :headbang:

Here's some pics of the quarters in rolls and loose. Taken by my mom Monday at another detecting site. We cracked the rolls but no silver. The dates range from 1965 to 1987, so whatever catastrophe led them to the ground must've happened in '87. The loose ones have a slightly reddish patina; the ones in the rolls greenish. There are actually a few with slight iridescent toning but my scanner doesn't show it well. Also pictured is the neat button that prompted me to detect the area, the nickel and Merc, and a smashed copper ring that I almost tossed thinking it was one of those bottlecap rings. WOOHOO!

Attachments

• quarter rolls intact 1.jpg
    quarter rolls intact 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 839
  • Quarter rolls loose.jpg
    Quarter rolls loose.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 853
  • quarter rolls other finds.jpg
    quarter rolls other finds.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 836
Upvote 0

Henry2

May 27, 2011
That's a great find :headbang: I wonder what the story is behind them, I don't see dropping that many quarters without noticing, maybe someone stole them and dropped them while being chased.

OP
OP
heepiepow

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks y'all! Henry, I like that theory! Mine was that a bank truck had an accident and the rolls flew off into the sand (the area has loose sand instead of dirt).

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Super find! And possibly still more rolls hiding under that dense ice plant barrier. I'm the finder's mom and it was thrilling on the phone that first night to hear him describe digging quarter rolls and loose quarters one after another. Then back the next day for more. Cache or spill, quien sabe? What puzzles me is that although all were dug at the same depth of five or six inches, the rolls were scattered over a 15 or 20 foot area, so doesn't exactly sound like a cache. And not the kind of area where plows come and scatter things around. So another mystery of this fascinating hobby. Congrats! Andi (aka Yo Mama)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread