Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you JC!!!!!!!!!!! that one little link put it all together for me awsome job bud!!!!!!

I found out some amazing facts about the silver colonial shoe buckle and the miniature lady portrait i found.

its a long story with many pics here is a new link Keith Cearlack put it up on his website for me!!? jd+

these were found with a Whites XLT the shoe buckle was no more than 2in.? came up as 91 VDI, Miniature portrait was 8 in. same 91 VDI, I thought both of them were silver dollars or old coins I never thought what i found was much better, historicaly significant and they have taken me on a wonderful year long ride so far.? thanks jd

http://www.geocities.com/kcearlock/JD123104.html

Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Silver Colonial shoe buckle and miniature portrait.!!!!

JD, what an incredible find and story to go with it! A truly historical find like tht beats any kind of gold or silver ring or coin by miles, in my mind! A silver shoe buckle owned by a signer of the Declaration Of Indepedence - INCREDIBLE! Now that is truly a treasure!

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

That is truly an amazing story. What a awesome find and good work
on the research.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Totally cool!! 8) Way to go, dude! The best relic finds i have ever seen here! 8)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Very cool story. That chick is the same gal for sure. NO doubt about it. How was that photo so well preserved? Was it enclosed when you found it?

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thank you guys its sure been a trip with those things yes bergie it was folded in half and filled with clay, at the time i was just looking for old coins I never heard of a relic and i was disappointed to see a piece of copper and i almost left it behind but i took it home to see if there was any writing on the inside and i usually take a hose and clean off the dirt but this time i decided to take the clay out first im glad i did as i bent it back the clay fell out and there laying in the dirt was the pic i almost fainted, i've had it about a year now and its starting to deteriorate fast i dont know how to preserve it every museum i call up never calls or sends me a message back. jd

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box

HI;
Great finds, put the thing in a plastic glad container and squeeze the air out (temporary fix)forget the museums and go to kodak, if no help look up a professional photographer or some other professional in the photo industry.Bob

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Great find, and a great story...
Odd about the museums not even answering you... You would think that even if you couldn't directly connect it to Morris, that it would still have a historical value seeing how Christopher Hughes made the 21 buckles for the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and only made 40 buckles in his lifetime.
I'd keep hounding someone until I got an answer...
Looks like another good object for the Antiques Road Show... ;D

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks again guys I really appreciate all your help and comments. remeber also that the pminiature portrait is a painting its on a mini canvas, not a photograph I've had a few emails saying how to restore old photos :) thanks. jd jd

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thank you for your enthusiasm treasure kidd i saw your post on gometealdetecting :) jd

AlphaQuest

Jan 3, 2005
Western New York

Good find and research. THANKS FOR SHARING. Great job on website.
Looks like you have an amazing find there.

Care to share more photos? back, front sides, etc.

AQ

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks alpha and the rest of you guys im till working on the story iv found out even more information and I will have new pics then, i have found out more info from the 1835-1890 era :)

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all your replys guys :) Whites contacted me today about the story :) jd

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
j.d. - pack clay/mud around the portrait again - asap! Exposure is the reason for deterioration. You've got to enclose it again. Like old shipwrecks that have been buried, a professional will have no trouble removing the mud and preserving the portrait. But they can't undo what is deteriorating.

Find of a lifetime, my friend! Way to go.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) J.D. What a great find and follow up story.It should be in a museum with a credit to J.D. love the history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread