Dont look at this post if you have high blood pressure!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't look at this post if you have high blood pressure!

Hello All,

Although I have been lucky enough to dig many nice items in my 20 years of metal detecting, my Best Find from these two decades was walking onto this site in the spring. There really isn't much of a fall season for this hobby here in Louisiana (unless two weeks at the end of December counts), so I thought it would be a good time to share the grand total of finds from this incredible site.

First, Colonial Era clay pipe stems:

1.jpg

Flat buttons, tombac buttons, large "dandy buttons," etc:

2.jpg

This photo is a sampling of the daily items used at our Tavern. Jew's harp, shoe buckle fragments, solid silver spoon, barrel taps, a lid to a Georgian Era ale jug or beer stein, thimbles, locks, and the business end of an iron skeleton key:

3.jpg

Shipbuilding and water-related items. Lead fishing sinkers and bronze nails from boats. Not pictured is the 30 lbs of bits of lead flashing from boats we have dug.

4.jpg

Military and militia items. Musketballs, Minieballs, Enfields, a lone .50 cal. Smith, four War of 1812 Artillery buttons, Pewter 1820s militia "U.S." button, Civil War "I", Civil War "A" cuff, rivet from a sword belt rig, etc.

5.jpg

Some of the favorite finds from the site. A Belt Axe, clay marbles, Spanish Colonial sword guard with a family crest (upper right, with the castle on it), Georgian pocketwatch winding keys, English gun flint, two "Russian Blue" trade beads, and an emerald setting from a ring.

6.jpg

Coins. Spanish 8 Reales, Spanish 1 Real, Eleven half reales dating from 1740 to 1814, Four New Orleans mint Seated coins dating from 1838 to 1842, two unidentified copper tokens, Barber dime, Walker Half, Plantation token, Shield Nickel, three V's, two Buffaloes, and a partridge in a pear tree.

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Some finds that didn't make it into the photos above. A Henry Clay campaign button:

10.jpg

A beautiful, fifth Seated coin. 1839-O:

11A.jpg
11B.jpg

And Shane dug this nice 1820s Navy Button:

Shane's Navy Button.JPG

Cheers,

Buckleboy
The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 8

janland

Jun 18, 2012
Southern California Mountains
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU FOR SAYING WHAT I FEEL EVERY TIME I OPEN UP A TREASURE SITE!

i LIVE IN THE MOUNTAINS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA- BIG BEAR- WHERE THE 2ND LARGEST GOLD STRIKE
FOUND. I TRAIPSE THESE HILLS HERE AND FIND LOTSA GLASS/POTTERY SHARDS AND METAL JUST
BY SURFACE OBSERVATION....I WANT TO MOVE MY SEARCHING TO UNDER SURFACE NOW

I AM GOING TO INVEST IN 'DA KINE' DETECTOR.... WHERE SHALL I GO TO READ UP ON ALL THE
CURRENT STATS ON WHICH ONE TO GET?

I AM ACTUALLY WEAK FROM VIEWING BUCKLES POST... O M G

GIRL FROM GOLD COUNTRY:goldpan:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for your replies. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's now looking more and more like the cap badge is spanish colonial, which means I have finally hit a Major goal down here. Now I need to find French colonial and Louisiana confederate for the trifecta. Take a rest, friend. Don't have a stroke...until my next post. :D

Well at this point, I have 2 of the 3 things on my list. I think the new list will have to look like this:

Gold Coin

French Colonial Relic or Coin

2 Reales or larger (My last 2R was dug in 1996) Gotta put one on the list that is achievable haha!

Andrew Jackson Related Button or Relic

Louisiana Regimental Button (Garde d'Orleans, Fusiliers d' Donaldsonville, or similar)--digging one of these would be more rare than digging a gold coin!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds BuckleBoy, I really like that 8 real piece, looks like mexico to me.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,killer diggings. The 8 reales would have put me in the hospital.

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update,

After a lot of research, I have found out the plantation name, and owner's name (a VERY prominent individual), and confirmed the fact that this was a Tavern where un-aged rum was distilled and sold by the jug. Armed with the history of the site, I'm looking forward to policing up the missed items after harvest. Digging even one more piece of the Spanish sword guard is a major goal. Got to get that ID'ed in terms of town/family crest.

Cheers,

Buck

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great stuff, thx for posting.

I wonder why some of the coins were bent at 90 degrees. Just damaged, or bent for some reason?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great stuff, thx for posting.

I wonder why some of the coins were bent at 90 degrees. Just damaged, or bent for some reason?

I am almost certain those are plow damaged. We've found thick pieces of brass bent in half by the plow, and of course, spurs and other tough brass items broken apart by it.

Wish my 1740 half real wasn't bent...but I'll take it!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An article on this incredible site will appear in a future issue of American Digger Magazine.

:)

Cheers,

Buck

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing collection of finds,Thanks for sharing them!!!

HH John!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread