Dont look at this post if you have high blood pressure!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't look at this post if you have high blood pressure!

Hello All,

Although I have been lucky enough to dig many nice items in my 20 years of metal detecting, my Best Find from these two decades was walking onto this site in the spring. There really isn't much of a fall season for this hobby here in Louisiana (unless two weeks at the end of December counts), so I thought it would be a good time to share the grand total of finds from this incredible site.

First, Colonial Era clay pipe stems:

1.jpg

Flat buttons, tombac buttons, large "dandy buttons," etc:

2.jpg

This photo is a sampling of the daily items used at our Tavern. Jew's harp, shoe buckle fragments, solid silver spoon, barrel taps, a lid to a Georgian Era ale jug or beer stein, thimbles, locks, and the business end of an iron skeleton key:

3.jpg

Shipbuilding and water-related items. Lead fishing sinkers and bronze nails from boats. Not pictured is the 30 lbs of bits of lead flashing from boats we have dug.

4.jpg

Military and militia items. Musketballs, Minieballs, Enfields, a lone .50 cal. Smith, four War of 1812 Artillery buttons, Pewter 1820s militia "U.S." button, Civil War "I", Civil War "A" cuff, rivet from a sword belt rig, etc.

5.jpg

Some of the favorite finds from the site. A Belt Axe, clay marbles, Spanish Colonial sword guard with a family crest (upper right, with the castle on it), Georgian pocketwatch winding keys, English gun flint, two "Russian Blue" trade beads, and an emerald setting from a ring.

6.jpg

Coins. Spanish 8 Reales, Spanish 1 Real, Eleven half reales dating from 1740 to 1814, Four New Orleans mint Seated coins dating from 1838 to 1842, two unidentified copper tokens, Barber dime, Walker Half, Plantation token, Shield Nickel, three V's, two Buffaloes, and a partridge in a pear tree.

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Some finds that didn't make it into the photos above. A Henry Clay campaign button:

10.jpg

A beautiful, fifth Seated coin. 1839-O:

11A.jpg
11B.jpg

And Shane dug this nice 1820s Navy Button:

Shane's Navy Button.JPG

Cheers,

Buckleboy
The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 8
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This space reserved for photos of anything else we manage to fight the sweltering heat for in the coming weeks. :)

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Collection

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome site and finds BB! Any signs of building or trash pits?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome site and finds BB! Any signs of building or trash pits?

We have identified two spots as possible trash pit areas. Once they roll and raze the fields we intend to dig some test pits. We have a narrow window to get this done, between the razing and the rowing up of the new rows.

Cheers,

Buckles

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you onto something special your first few trips there and am glad I was right.Couldnt come to a more deserving couple of guys than the CaneCrew!!My hats off to ya bud!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ohhhhh maaannnnn! I'm hitting 210/120. This is just sick. Sick I say! Everything you dug this Spring will put you in the "Hall of Fame." I am ready for some more Cajun Colonial digging from you guys.

Time to rest now or I am going to have a stroke.

Kirk :laughing7:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a collection. I joined this forum about the time you guys found that site. I thought for sure you guys were pulling some chains, it seemed every week you guys would dig reales, glad to know this epic site was 20 years in the making. Hope to see some more from that site. Good luck.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a collection. I joined this forum about the time you guys found that site. I thought for sure you guys were pulling some chains, it seemed every week you guys would dig reales, glad to know this epic site was 20 years in the making. Hope to see some more from that site. Good luck.

I can see why you'd think that. The folks that have been here for a while know that I don't tell whale tales on the forum. Some thought I did back when I hunted in Kentucky, but I posted everything--even when we didn't find much. My ego ain't that fragile :D

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! If you'd like to see some eye candy, go to the annual finds section for 2008, 2009, and 2010 and look at my posts there. ;)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Those are some awesome finds. That campaign button sure looks like it's still in decent shape, and that 1839 seated dime is in nice shape. Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhhh maaannnnn! I'm hitting 210/120. This is just sick. Sick I say! Everything you dug this Spring will put you in the "Hall of Fame." I am ready for some more Cajun Colonial digging from you guys.

Time to rest now or I am going to have a stroke.

Kirk :laughing7:

Well it's now looking more and more like the cap badge is spanish colonial, which means I have finally hit a Major goal down here. Now I need to find French colonial and Louisiana confederate for the trifecta. :) Take a rest, friend. Don't have a stroke...until my next post. :D

c281

Greenie
May 28, 2012
modesto ca
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster/D series 2, Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is neat i dream about finding that kind of stuff lol just sucks im not close to any civil war areas :/

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call 9 11 Don't I Just Need A Dose of Red After seeing this Post Chug GreaT FINDS jUST eXCITED mE cHUG See i can't spell Right Chug Just like red Makes me Feel Chug

NHDUG

Nov 24, 2008
Mid southern NH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS,Minelab Excaliber 800, Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra 70, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! What happened in this one area? Seems like a wide array of years there....it is a hot spot for war and gatherings of later years...Huh. Interesting.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! What happened in this one area? Seems like a wide array of years there....it is a hot spot for war and gatherings of later years...Huh. Interesting.

Tavern site whose high point was ca. 1790-1810, 1812 veteran's house after that, "new house" on the property c. 1820-50, and Civil War troops passed through. Newer items were farmer dropped (Walker Half, nickels, barber dime, plantation token, etc.).

That's as much as we know at this point.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread