Ok coin experts how about some opinions? NGC isnt very consisitent on 1795 coins!

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kinda feel like I got the shaft. They put improperly cleaned on my coin with AU details ( I didnt clean it, it's dug coin but didnt tell them). Ok I'll give them that but look at this one up for auction right now. They graded it AU58 but the things got scratches all over it! Mine looks much better and the coin dealer is asking a hefty price for it too. Anybody got any opinions? To me looks like NGC isnt very consisient or there's something rotten in Denmark? Here's the link to the coin for sale at the moment. Iv'e included mine too. I'm not blind am I? that high dollar coin looks way worse than mine!
huh.gif
?? The link to view the other coin is right here,so check it out and see what you think.

The Hun

1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF DIME NGC AU 58 LM-8 R-3 ORIGINAL COIN FROM BOBS COINS | eBay

Attachments

• grade.JPG
    grade.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 242
  • halfd.JPG
    halfd.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 277
  • bestcoin.jpg
    bestcoin.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Upvote 0

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I have to agree with you. It looks like "Bobs coin" was graded in the dark. Why don't his slab say damaged or scratched ? I would MUCH RATHER own your coin. Look on the bright side.... According to Bob, you have a $25,000 coin :headbang:

VPR

U

umrgolf

Not only scratched, doesn't appear to have the same detail yours does either

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kinda feel like I got the shaft. They put improperly cleaned on my coin with AU details ( I didnt clean it, it's dug coin but didnt tell them). Ok I'll give them that but look at this one up for auction right now. They graded it AU58 but the things got scratches all over it! Mine looks much better and the coin dealer is asking a hefty price for it too. Anybody got any opinions? To me looks like NGC isnt very consisient or there's something rotten in Denmark? Here's the link to the coin for sale at the moment. Iv'e included mine too. I'm not blind am I? that high dollar coin looks way worse than mine!
huh.gif
?? The link to view the other coin is right here,so check it out and see what you think.

The Hun

1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF DIME NGC AU 58 LM-8 R-3 ORIGINAL COIN FROM BOBS COINS | eBay

The holder is an older style holder, however even back then this coin should never been graded AU-58. Any collector can see that. This is why you should never purchase a coin based on a grading service grade.

Grading services were never perfect or are they now, my opinion is Bobs coins is tryingto sell a coin for a lot more based on a very questionable grade by NGC. I think if it were submitted now, it would likely be grade as scratched or damaged. I also feel it is way overpriced... I hate dealers like that, it gives collectors a bad name because buyers and sells feel they are being cheated... and they are right! :BangHead:

Your coin has much less damage than that coin. Yours was a terrific find of a lifetime. :notworthy: I’ve been MDing for40 years and never dig one. Congrads!

As a collector for just as long, I can understand your thoughts. Today the surface of a coin is critical, if not the most important thing on US mint produced coins. A dug coin surface is changed just from being in the ground; some from soil rubbing it and some from the chemicals in the ground. The surface looks a bit rough.

One other thing I would like to point out, most if not all graders for these services have many years in the industry. They have seen thousands of coins, however, few if any have every dug them up or are familiar with what a dug coin looks like. I would be much happy with an improperly cleaned than with a damaged coin. Almost every one of these early coins were cleaned, collectors of years ago had no problem with it. Few if any were not cleaned.

If you were to sell a collector would most likely purchase the coin on how it looks, not for the grade by NCG, although it provides that it is genuine. Personally, if I were to purchase it, I likely would remove it from the holder, so it would re-tone to give it a better appearance, besides I hate slabs... I always buy by eye appeal. I don’t need someone else to tell me it is an AU-58 I can see that for myself. A coin with eye appeal generally sells better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The holder is an older style holder, however even back then this coin should never been graded AU-58. Any collector can see that. This is why you should never purchase a coin based on a grading service grade.

Grading services were never perfect or are they now, my opinion is Bobs coins is tryingto sell a coin for a lot more based on a very questionable grade by NGC. I think if it were submitted now, it would likely be grade as scratched or damaged. I also feel it is way overpriced... I hate dealers like that, it gives collectors a bad name because buyers and sells feel they are being cheated... and they are right! :BangHead:

Your coin has much less damage than that coin. Yours was a terrific find of a lifetime. :notworthy: I’ve been MDing for40 years and never dig one. Congrads!

As a collector for just as long, I can understand your thoughts. Today the surface of a coin is critical, if not the most important thing on US mint produced coins. A dug coin surface is changed just from being in the ground; some from soil rubbing it and some from the chemicals in the ground. The surface looks a bit rough.

One other thing I would like to point out, most if not all graders for these services have many years in the industry. They have seen thousands of coins, however, few if any have every dug them up or are familiar with what a dug coin looks like. I would be much happy with an improperly cleaned than with a damaged coin. Almost every one of these early coins were cleaned, collectors of years ago had no problem with it. Few if any were not cleaned.

If you were to sell a collector would most likely purchase the coin on how it looks, not for the grade by NCG, although it provides that it is genuine. Personally, if I were to purchase it, I likely would remove it from the holder, so it would re-tone to give it a better appearance, besides I hate slabs... I always buy by eye appeal. I don’t need someone else to tell me it is an AU-58 I can see that for myself. A coin with eye appeal generally sells better.

Thanks bud I appreciate your opinion and for the response

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm probably with the majority of Tnetters......Bobs Coin is for ****.....your coin is great

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why they say 'Buy the coin, not the slab'
Yours is obviously a much nicer example.
occurences like this is what keep me from submitting any of my coins..

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have a strange way of looking at things...

"Bob" didnt grade the coin, NGC did. Not sure why he is getting most of the grief here for the holder.
Also, he has a right to price his coins any way he chooses. If his prices are too high, the market will react appropriately. Not sure how this makes him a cheat or dishonest?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pics I would much rather own the one in this thread over the ebay one, but I don't really see the issue. The "improperly cleaned" coin obviously has some surface issues under magnification and doesn't mean it's not as good as Bob's coin, but also doesn't mean his should be marked cleaned, or damaged or anything else. Do they even mention aged scratches when they grade? It's all apples and oranges, and a case by case basis. Personally I would have not sent the coin in unless it needed to be proved genuine.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Old silver out of the ground looks a bit "funny" to some pro collectors.

I dug a 1832 half dollar out of the woods and it came out almost as shiny as the day it was dropped. The ground froze and thawed maybe 170+ seasons, and it will produce microscopic scratches that make the coins appear to be "whizzed" or improperly cleaned. If you had told them it was dug, they might have put environmentally damaged on it instead of improperly cleaned.

I took my half dollar to the most reputable local dealer close by, and he immediately accused me of rubbing and cleaning the coin with an abrasive. I said, "yeah dude, it's had 170 years of abrasive cleaning in shallow dirt freeze cycling". "Oh, yeah, it could be that. I didn't expect a coin like that out of the dirt." LOL.

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread