One Of My Best Pieces Of Petrified Wood.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that I would share with you folks a stump of petrified wood that I found late last fall. It measures 47 inches tall, by 24 inches wide, and 18 inches deep. folder 2 002.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 2

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make a nice table as a display piece. Glass top and a plant on top or something!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for your input! I really don't want to cut it with all the lichen that gives it that natural look. I have some other pieces that would be canadates for a table.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know you didn't carry that home alone,if so your a better man than I am!:laughing7: Cool stump! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I did move it by myself. I used two 2/4's five feet long, and four 2/4's 30 inches long and made a type of guerny to lay it on. I backed my pickup into position, removed the tailgate, put down a 3/4 sheet of plywood on the rear bumper to the ground. Next I used a come-along and slid it into the pickup bed. For unloading, I dug an 8 inch deep hole to fit the base. Then I backed up to where it would slide out and fall right into position. I layed a 2/6 on the rear bumper to stablize it as it would fall. I pounded in a metal fence post about 20 feet further back in the photo, and come-alonged the piece out and it fell right into the prepared hole. Straightened it and tamped the soil around the base, ''Voila'' You know it is sometimes hard to get someone else to help you out, so you got to do it by yourself. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You answered my questions before I could ask them, Ive never seen anything like that except in the petrified forest.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That totally dwarfs my biggest find at 18" tall. Very nice find and good job getting home:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread