Chief Mcchiefer

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Groundhog,F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all im new to treasurenet and this is my first post so i was just going to share my best finds for my first 7 months of metal detecting . I started with a old Garrett A.D.S groundhog until i found enough clad and a gold ring to pay for a F2.This shows all my good finds with the F2 minus a gold bracelet i sold for more gas to detect lol. The crown jewel is the 1855 10D gold piece which i wrote a little story on in the Kellyco Treasure stories on May 1 2012 hope yall enjoy and HH.

Attachments

• SDC10125.JPG
    SDC10125.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 373
  • SDC10126.JPG
    SDC10126.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 305
  • SDC10127.JPG
    SDC10127.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 257
  • SDC10128.JPG
    SDC10128.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 292
  • SDC10130.JPG
    SDC10130.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 2

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
you might as well quit now! lol the gold coin is what we all hope to find someday! congrats

OP
OP
C

Chief Mcchiefer

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Groundhog,F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all it has done is make me think about detecting 24/7:BangHead: i think it was a curse LOL!

dburdick

May 17, 2012
Towanda, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the piece with all the holes in it? I have found several of them and have no idea what it is.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey......slow down.....the rest of us need to catch up.:occasion14:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome gold coin,and ring finds lookgreat also.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

Chief Mcchiefer

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Groundhog,F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks yall and i have a question the top right of the coin has a little missing and i didnt hit it because there was dirt in the gap when it poped out.When u look close there are file marks in the gap was this a common practice to pay someone or to test it?

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that gold ! Great finds
Glen

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! You've done VERY well for having been dirt fishing for such a short amount of time. I hope your luck holds continues. HH.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the piece with all the holes in it? I have found several of them and have no idea what it is.
That appears to be a Civil War era toe or heel tap, worn on the heels and toes of their shoes. I can't stop drooling over the gold coin though! I'd have heart failure if I dug that.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece to the left of the toe/heel tap is a US cavalry bit boss. There were two on a set of horse reins, one on either side of the bit that went into the horse's mouth. That also is Civil War and those are pretty hard to come by. I actually have a whole one that was my first ever Civil War find. If you found the bit boss and toe tap in the same area you should hunt that site carefully because there are probably a number of other Civil War relics in the ground there.

OP
OP
C

Chief Mcchiefer

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Groundhog,F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks silversweeper i found the bit boss, toe tap and the coin all in about a 40 yard radius in 3 afrernoons and i have the top part of the bit boss somewhere in one of my trash finds buckets ill have to look for it. I have not been back in about a month ive been saving my money for a AT Pro and then ill spend some full days hunting real slow.

Sep 3, 2010
People used to file off some gold from coins figuring enough of it would add up, $10 was a lot of money back then. Some merchants would weigh gold coins, and make the buyer using the coin as payment make up the difference for the missing gold in some cases. Believe it's called "clipping". I'm not 100% sure that this was the case with your coin, but it's a possibility. Excellent find!

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
I was there the day he found the gold coin ,the park we hunted gave up an amazing bunch of finds ,I pulled over 20 silver ,5 rings
hundreds of wheats and some civil war stuff to boot .

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Thanks silversweeper i found the bit boss, toe tap and the coin all in about a 40 yard radius in 3 afrernoons and i have the top part of the bit boss somewhere in one of my trash finds buckets ill have to look for it. I have not been back in about a month ive been saving my money for a AT Pro and then ill spend some full days hunting real slow.
Good luck my friend ,I have pounded that park LOL with an At pro ,little secret bud there was a civil war camp near by ,send me a message and we can talk

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chief Mcchiefer

Jul 12, 2012
Atlanta, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Groundhog,F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right digging1971guy ill sent u a message a little later P.S I read your old post about it and i hope u got threw it all right LOL.

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Good luck my friend ,I have pounded that park LOL with an At pro ,little secret bud there was a civil war camp near by ,send me a message and we can talk

I survived ,we should hook up I got some cool spots and we can discuss my thought on the camp that is near by .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread