Vth century roman tomb

Xargos

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone !

This is my best find ever !
2 month ago I was looking for my girlfriend's lost silver ring, on a path along a field. I got a signal and started digging, after 20 cm I find a (modern) nail, but I still get a signal, I start digging again, after 30 more centimeters and almost giving up, I see 2 small greenish balls appearing, I first think of a merovingian belt buckle, but when I carefully remove the earth around the mysterious object I recognize the shape of a big bowl. It took me about 1 hour and a half to digg it out, this is what I found :

013-bassin%20bords%20perles.jpg

In the bassin was a small bone comb.
I got an other signal on one side of the hole, so I carefully start digging, but then I find some bones (and they sure looked like human bones), so I filled the hole and went straight to my local museum to report the find.

The director of the museum asked me to show him where I found the bassin.
2 month later they started an archeological dig and excavated a roman Vth century tomb,the dig just ended here is a pic of the objects inside :

montage.jpg

unbroken glass vase and conical glass, a ceramic vase and pot, a small bronze bowl, a bronze bassin, a silver needle (for hair of cloth ?) a bronze bracelet, a silver bracelet, a silver ring (maybe an earring, because it was very small), thre was a small copper coin in her (almsot sure it's a woman) mouth and some iron nails (from the coffin) all around.

This was really an amazing find for me, I never thought I would find anything like this, and I'm so happy all this is going to end up in a museum for everyone to admire :)

Attachments

• montage.jpg
    montage.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 2
OP
OP
X

Xargos

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm I guess you guy prefer modern coins and gold...

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find! But how are bones still there after so many centuries?

Occasionally graves from the American Civil War are found in my area. There is almost nothing left but metal buttons and buckles and a few bits of bone.

What country are you in?

DCMatt

OP
OP
X

Xargos

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! But how are bones still there after so many centuries?

Occasionally graves from the American Civil War are found in my area. There is almost nothing left but metal buttons and buckles and a few bits of bone.

What country are you in?

DCMatt

I live in Belgium. I guess bones stay there because of the nature of the soil.
According to the archeologists there was a wooden floor under the body (which was in a wooden coffin); there are no traces left of the wood (not even the slightest).
The bone were very very brittle, I almost didn't notice them whan I discovered the bassin.

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Wow, that's a find of a life time.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelieveable find.:icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Belgium. I guess bones stay there because of the nature of the soil.
According to the archeologists there was a wooden floor under the body (which was in a wooden coffin); there are no traces left of the wood (not even the slightest).
The bone were very very brittle, I almost didn't notice them whan I discovered the bassin.

Interesting assemblage!

Well done for reporting it. I lived in Belgium & as far as I could tell it was illegal to detect there. How did you get permission, just curious?

Last edited:

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! What a great discovery and cudos on being an honest person and doing the right thing. There are a lot of folks here in the states that would have probably swiped the grave-goods for themselves and left the bones in a mess. I've seen it many times on fields where I look for indian artifacts. Disturbed burials and broken pottery tossed about like trash. Makes me ill to think that there are those that have so little respect for the dead. Congratulations again and thanks for the post. HH

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely fantastic finds awesome :icon_thumleft:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure the museum gives you the credit as the finder. Your discovery is fantastic. Hope to see it in the museum someday.

OP
OP
X

Xargos

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelieveable find.:icon_thumleft:

It's not illegal to detect in belgium, it's illegal to look for old stuff (objects that interest art or history), but this time I was just looking for my gf's ring.
Eventhough I was detecting on the path, I knew the owner of the field so all went smoothly :)

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's amazing to me. The most amazing part for me is the coin left in the mouth. Fare for Cheron across the river Styx and into Hades. Amazing, simple amazing to hear about it being practised.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread