Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Xargos
  • 1 Post By silversweeper

Thread: Vth century roman tomb

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Vth century roman tomb

Hi everyone !

This is my best find ever !
    2 month ago I was looking for my girlfriend's lost silver ring, on a path along a field. I got a signal and started digging, after 20 cm I find a (modern) nail, but I still get a signal, I start digging again, after 30 more centimeters and almost giving up, I see 2 small greenish balls appearing, I first think of a merovingian belt buckle, but when I carefully remove the earth around the mysterious object I recognize the shape of a big bowl. It took me about 1 hour and a half to digg it out, this is what I found :

In the bassin was a small bone comb.
    I got an other signal on one side of the hole, so I carefully start digging, but then I find some bones (and they sure looked like human bones), so I filled the hole and went straight to my local museum to report the find.

The director of the museum asked me to show him where I found the bassin.
    2 month later they started an archeological dig and excavated a roman Vth century tomb,the dig just ended here is a pic of the objects inside :

unbroken glass vase and conical glass, a ceramic vase and pot, a small bronze bowl, a bronze bassin, a silver needle (for hair of cloth ?) a bronze bracelet, a silver bracelet, a silver ring (maybe an earring, because it was very small), thre was a small copper coin in her (almsot sure it's a woman) mouth and some iron nails (from the coffin) all around.

This was really an amazing find for me, I never thought I would find anything like this, and I'm so happy all this is going to end up in a museum for everyone to admire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	montage.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	777.2 KB 
ID:	654723  
    leprechaun and austin like this.

Jul 2012
    2 times
    Hmmm I guess you guy prefer modern coins and gold...

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    854 times
    Amazing find! But how are bones still there after so many centuries?

Occasionally graves from the American Civil War are found in my area. There is almost nothing left but metal buttons and buckles and a few bits of bone.

What country are you in?

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Jul 2012
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Amazing find! But how are bones still there after so many centuries?

Occasionally graves from the American Civil War are found in my area. There is almost nothing left but metal buttons and buckles and a few bits of bone.

What country are you in?

DCMatt
    I live in Belgium. I guess bones stay there because of the nature of the soil.
    According to the archeologists there was a wooden floor under the body (which was in a wooden coffin); there are no traces left of the wood (not even the slightest).
    The bone were very very brittle, I almost didn't notice them whan I discovered the bassin.

us
    Jul 2008
    40 times
    Wow, that's a find of a life time.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    568 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Unbelieveable find.

Quote Originally Posted by Xargos View Post
    I live in Belgium. I guess bones stay there because of the nature of the soil.
    According to the archeologists there was a wooden floor under the body (which was in a wooden coffin); there are no traces left of the wood (not even the slightest).
    The bone were very very brittle, I almost didn't notice them whan I discovered the bassin.
    Interesting assemblage!

Well done for reporting it. I lived in Belgium & as far as I could tell it was illegal to detect there. How did you get permission, just curious?
    Last edited by CRUSADER; Jul 22, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Aug 2011
    Swampeast Missouri
    Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
    216 times
    Way to go! What a great discovery and cudos on being an honest person and doing the right thing. There are a lot of folks here in the states that would have probably swiped the grave-goods for themselves and left the bones in a mess. I've seen it many times on fields where I look for indian artifacts. Disturbed burials and broken pottery tossed about like trash. Makes me ill to think that there are those that have so little respect for the dead. Congratulations again and thanks for the post. HH
    austin likes this.

gb
    Jun 2011
    Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Ace 250
    19 times
    Absolutely fantastic finds awesome

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    1280 times
    Research and occasional field work
    Make sure the museum gives you the credit as the finder. Your discovery is fantastic. Hope to see it in the museum someday.

Jul 2012
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    Unbelieveable find.
    It's not illegal to detect in belgium, it's illegal to look for old stuff (objects that interest art or history), but this time I was just looking for my gf's ring.
    Eventhough I was detecting on the path, I knew the owner of the field so all went smoothly

us
    Sep 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    Garrett AT Pro
    5 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's amazing to me. The most amazing part for me is the coin left in the mouth. Fare for Cheron across the river Styx and into Hades. Amazing, simple amazing to hear about it being practised.
    A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -Douglas Adams

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

Sponsors