SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some of my pre-1800 silver

The first pic was taken a little over 2 years ago right after I dug my 100th colonial silver coin. Since then I've added another 20-25 more, but they've been somewhat separated into different displays so its difficult to get a group shot now. The 2nd pic shows my 1500s hammered coins which all came from that one site, as many of you know, and the earliest of those is 1563. I enjoyed looking at everyone's coins, and hope more folks will post theirs up. HH ..... Bill

Attachments

• 100 colonial silvers2.JPG
    100 colonial silvers2.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 705
  • 1500s2.JPG
    1500s2.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoops - meant to post this under the thread below. Sorry 'bout that!

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill D.You have some great finds there Sir.I noticed alot of cut coins do any of them match and are all spanish ?Tell us more about the site ,any history that you can share?Tks for sharing pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bill D.You have some great finds there Sir.I noticed alot of cut coins do any of them match and are all spanish ?Tell us more about the site ,any history that you can share?Tks for sharing pictures.

Capsmith - these are coins that I've found at a large number of colonial sites I've hunted over the last 15 years here in southeast VA. As far as I recall, all the cut coins are all spanish with the exception of one that's part of a pine tree shilling. And the only match I have is shown below. These 2 pieces were found last winter as part of a random early coin spill that included 9 silvers and 8 coppers dating between the mid 1700s and the late 1820s. Thanks for asking.

cut piece1.JPG

cut piece2.JPG

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply.I have found about 20 spanish coins and cut coins.Minted in Mexico.

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool Bill 8-) Some great finds there, I mean ALL great finds there :icon_thumleft:

Scot

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like you have some great older sites, thanks for sharing. HH

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You aren't bill dennison are you? Crazy stuff either way, i can't find crap anywhere in SE VA...

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, you are the King of Colonial silver!!

I am only about 75 pieces behind you and getting further behind every year!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You aren't bill dennison are you? Crazy stuff either way, i can't find crap anywhere in SE VA...

Nope - I'm not that Bill D. You must not be looking in the right places as there's no better spot to relic hunt than SE VA, especially for colonial artifacts. Start getting into the research aspect of things and you'll do just fine. Good luck!

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, its kinda weird being 15 and looking for stuff but i guess there are worse things i could be doing...just wish i could find a coin once in a while...

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the most unbelieveable silver collection I've ever seen.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome Bill!:hello2: I remember when you found your 100th!!:headbang: Keep up the hunt and showing us your great recoveries, especially the Spanish silver!!! Though I don't live out East, I have you matched in the older type silver coin count (from what is available per time period this area was settled), but mine are of the Seated Liberty type!!!!

Congrats again Bill on a remarkable and very awesome achievement! Looking for more "eye candy" posted from you in the future!!

IM

English Bob.

Greenie
Aug 10, 2012
Essex.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Lovely selection of Hammered and Silver coins there mate.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very awesome Bill!:hello2: I remember when you found your 100th!!:headbang: Keep up the hunt and showing us your great recoveries, especially the Spanish silver!!! Though I don't live out East, I have you matched in the older type silver coin count (from what is available per time period this area was settled), but mine are of the Seated Liberty type!!!!

Congrats again Bill on a remarkable and very awesome achievement! Looking for more "eye candy" posted from you in the future!!

IM

Thank you Ironman for the kind remarks. Please know that I've been following your exploits for some time as well. You definitely have an awesome collection of SL silver. I've actually found very few of those myself (maybe 20-25). I'm also in awe of your gold coins. I've dug two $1 gold coins from the 1840s/50s in CW camps here, but would love to dig one of the larger denominations like yours. But colonial gold would be the holy grail for me. Thanks again, and good luck to you ..... Bill

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I only dream of finding those kind of coins!!!! What a very impressive collection of finds!!!! Very neat!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread