WHAT PROBE DO YOU USE?

V

Vingamel

This all boils down to whether the increased ease is worth the monetary sacrifice.? Sort of like leather interior and power everything on your car.? Hey, if you want it bad enough, get it.? I can't see myself spending that much on a probe.? If somebody gave one to me as a gift, I'd definitely use it.? But, until I get too sick and tired of digging big holes for little coins, I'm sticking with usiing my eyes, ears and noggin'.

hurricaneplumber

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2005
Upstate NY
I just ordered the Automax Precision V2 pinpointer yesterday for $50. For me it is a small enough investment to give it a try, it may end up aggravating hauling it around or it may be the best extra tool to have, we will see.

Kevin

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the S-1 on my Sovereign, & consider it Indispensable. it's like a part of my detector.

G

gunna_dan

i use an automax v2, really nice by the way, but i wanna get a sunray xl-1 for my xlt. those babies are worth every penny ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, in many ways, It's like having a Detector with a 1" coil :)

S

sal1966

SUNRAY X-1. CANT LOSE IT. NOW I JUST HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR MY SHOVEL. MY FRIEND HAS ONE FOR HIS WHITES DFX. SAYS IT DOESNT WORK WITH HOT PROGRAMS. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
I use the automax V2 from Kellyco. Looks big and ugly, but does work great! I wish the manufactures would have made it smaller. Also, DO take care NOT to use it to lift that plug out of the hole or use it to pry around the dirt AT ALL!! I found out the hard way, the probe shaft will snap in half with suprisingly little effort! But, say what you want about Kellyco, They replaced it with no problems and no charge at all. They said it is under a one year warrenty. But they did tell me to be more carefull with it. I now have a Sunray probe on its way for my MXT and will use the V2 as a backup.

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Geez lonewolfe I was starting to think I was odd... Well I am odd but I have never used a pinpointer other than the xlt. Takes to much time to lug around all that stuff. I dont have any problem pinpointing items

J

Jim Cal

I use the White's Bullseye pinpointer that came with my detector. Ditto all of the above...saves a lot of frustration and constantly having to pick up your detector to rescan the hole. The pinpointer is much faster. Jim Cal

LuckLarry

Oct 3, 2005
AlphaQuest said:
I am interetest in the probes people are using, or their experience(s) with any brand.
I am looking at vibrating probes, but I? have read reviews, that most aren't that great.

So what are you using?? What probes do you have experience with?

AQ

I got a Bullseye pinpointer from my superstore along with a 1000.00 plus purchase. What a piece of junk. It switch for sound does not work, it only vibrates and you have to all but touch the coin to get a responce out of it. I cant believe people are claiming detects as deep as 1.5". Maybe I just have a lemon. I am sure my Super Store will want another 9.95 to ship it back. It will more than likely just go in the trash. I'm over pinpointeers. if you have to touch the coin to get a reaction, might as well jusd dig with a stick.

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
I use a merlin, Has sound, has vibe, has a light that changes color not that that matters except in dim light. Seems to be very rugged but I can't compair it to any thing else. It seems to come in very handy when I'm digging a coin that is on edge and is still on edge on the side of the hole. It has an external adjustment for sense and an internal adjustment so you can get more depth. I don't leave home without it.

uberlapis

Aug 8, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use the merlin probe I got It in 1999 and still works as well as the day I got it.

Funny thing is were I got is my local white's dealer they are very hardcore on only recomending white's and Jimmy Sahara nothing else. and this probe was the only thing they ever recommended without white's or JS. I said I wanted a bullseye (not the bullseye 2) he got them both out and did a demo and the merlin is much more sensitive. he showed me the light how to adjust the knob and how much easier the button was to operate. I thought he was trying to upsell me, I said man thats awesome but what that going to cost me? he said your gonna love this its a lot cheaper along with better.
sorry for the long/dumb story but if you went there you would really understand. They are great guys buy all means and very nice and helpful but they always see things this way: White's & JS. = Best
Any other name on the product = Junk

HH
Uber

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Mine came from a White's dealer also. He never mentioned the Whites's brand or JS either. Maybe that means something maybe it doesn't.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I never use....I don't recall the name brand. It came with the package I bought. I tried it when I first started detecting with the MXT..but I really haven't had the need to use it. Just something else to have to carry around.

I think it is in the basement under the seat of the Kubota! :D

Nana ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an Automax V2. I got my first one with a detector purchase from Kellyco. I broke the barrel off of it and "Leon" on this forum was kind enough to give me another that he wasn't using! The problem with it is that you have to be almost touching the target to get a response but it has saved me many a time when my pinpointing is a little off or I couldn't see the target due to my poor short eyesight! The other weakness is the barrel of the Automax is plastic and easy to break off.....which I did with my first one. I took the one Leon gave me and reinforced it at the body with epoxy ribbon and it should be much harder to break. I'll take a pic and post if anyone is interested. JIM aka KS

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bulleye, XR-1, and a Automax V2. The bullseye was souding when I moved it. Contacted Whites and they showed me how to adjust the sensitivity it works fine. I modified the switch to a push button as the old toggle would turn on and drain the battery. The XR-1 was to hard to use. When I switched back to th detector it would go nuts, very frustrating. The Auto max is nice the adjustment for sensitivity allows you to fine tune. I can usually get a reading at 2 inches to less than a half depending on where it is set. The vibrating mode saves a lot of questions from on lookers as they don,t hear a beep from it . I don,t use a probe on all recoveries but when I do they are help full. At one site the coins were so shallow I could use the whites to find them before or without digging.
I was most disappointed with the XR-1 as it cost the most and when I contacted them they had no advice to help me.

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread