Heartbreaker

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Found this in my sisters yard. She lives next to an old park that closed in the 1930`s. Also there used to be an old mill nearby that was built around 1833. I found it at a depth of about 4 inches. When i first saw it i thought it was a head of nail. But once i knew what it was i was pumped. A 1853 Three Cent Silver! It was slightly bent when i found it. I took it into my sisters house to show her, but she wasnt home, so i showed my nephew. He said look uncle Frank its bent. Then he took his finger and pushed on the coin and you know what happened next. I said how do like that, that coin has been in the ground for probably 100 yrs and 5 minutes out of the ground and you break it in two. I wasnt that mad because the coin really wasnt worth that much anyway. But let this be a lesson if you find something delicate!!!

Attachments

• Metal Detector Finds 057.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 057.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3,964
  • Metal Detector Finds 064.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 064.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,944
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a damn shame. still a great find though. i guess you cant get too mad though. he didnt do it on purpose.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Know how you feel. I broke one just like that a little while ago myself. They are few and far between. Had to buy one to replace the one I broke.
Bob

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find no matter!

hh

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
;D

The coin is a beauty indeed but the story. . now that is PRICELESS!!!

I have had a few things from my youth that when I allowed my children to play with. . well. . my thought was if the item survived me it surely could survive them. . . nope. . apparently the new generation is much STRONGER ;D

Great coin & now it has an even greater story to go hand in hand with it!

Bogart :D

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
OH MY GOSH! I have one of those! What is it exactly? I thought it was a Jewish coin......I can't see a date, where would that be? More inf. please!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 halfs of a three cent is better than zero half of a three cent!

HH
-GC

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its any consolation, I know of two other people who have broken three cent pieces doing the same thing! Still a nice find tho!! :)

D.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find....Too bad about it breaking though. :)

AP is a welder....maybe he can weld it up for you! LOL! ;D

D

doyboy

That would have pi$$ed me off! I would tell him to keep his hands on his own coins! :D

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats worse, breaking a coin like that or putting a mickey mantle card in the spokes of your bike. We all made mistakes when we were kids.
MIke

Attachments

• mantle.jpg
    mantle.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,225

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Been there...

found a 1922-D wheat, hit by a lawnmower not in the greatest condition, not even sure about weak "D" or not...showed it to my hunting partner(less than a year detecting) and suddenly I see him rubbing hard on the coin...rubbed the date alomst completely off trying to "clean" it. Wasn't too upset because of the gash made by the mower, but I remind him every time I show a coin not to rub it!!

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Now with that historic coin you have a history in it too, definitely a keeper, and a memory to be held on to. Things seem to always happen for a reason, you will probably never forget this find, Nice coin and happy hunting
Eddy

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I'm new to this hobby and I haven't found anything yet. So I'm guessing that after being in the ground for awhile the coins become brittle?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread