My scariest find to date!

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was looking around last Saturday for a good site to hunt, and found a place that looked very promising. Alot of old brick foundations and old bottles, looked like a old dump site. Was walking and looking at the ground by this small tree and there in between 2 bricks was the thing that almost made me sh*t myself and stop my heart :thumb_down: Called the police, and waited for the officers to arrive. Showed them what I had found and in turn they called the bomb squad. I waited around to see what the bomb squad was going to do, but it got late and i was cold. Called sunday to find out how they disposed of it. Was told to call the sheriff's office. Call and got left a voice message. Trying to find out the status on my find. So once I know for sure I'll let you guys know. HH and be safe. bomb!.jpg

Upvote 0

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
well at least you'll always have a good story. Please keep us updated to what they did with it if you are able to find out.

OP
OP
kam50

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will do.HH

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch,they'll either say you cant have it or it got lost,misplaced or destroyed.Lost most likely.

OP
OP
kam50

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Red james. Naww they can keep it! Bomb squad came and took it away. I just wanted to know what period it was made. WW1 WW2 Vietnam. It was an old artillary shell with the head intact.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool to get back a conversation piece indeed

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't tell you for certain without measurements, BUT it looks like a 75mm for the M1 Pack Howitzer. However there were a whole lot of shells that were similar in size and appearance. The only way to know for certain what it was would be to inspect it for markings.

Looking at the rotating band and the way it's deformed I would guess it could be fired dud round. Since I don't know of the Akron area ever being shelled by WW2 artillery it was probably a souvenir and likely disarmed, but you never know with those things and the only way to know for sure without destroying it is to weigh it, or take a big risk removing the fuse. Not something you want to do if you are not familiar with ordinance.

Personally I would have probably taken it and checked it out, but you probably did the right thing.

Last edited:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol ! Nice ! I found a rocket in the basement of a house I was renting many years ago. Walked into the Police station and.... the desk officer screamed.. get that the (blank) out of here !!!! It was a dummy RPG and I was a dummy who took it to the police station.

gabberbob

Oct 15, 2012
Ryazan City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this shell has notches from a cut trunk of a gun on a corbel as after a shot and can be dangerous. Some types of shells come to combat readiness after a shot. Not blown up can many years are stored in the earth and to blow up as soon as will touch or will casually strike on it.
After ww2 in our country many hunters were killed blow up digging out shells and mines.

OP
OP
kam50

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the way i figure it "better safe then sorry" . Atleast I have my pictures..HH Guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread