Windfall of New York Militia Buttons and More!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache or Spill (?) of New York Militia Buttons.

101_5584.jpg

While hunting a neighbor’s field I hit a 5 foot square target rich area. Over the course of several days I recovered dozens of square nails, 19th century household and farming implements and buttons. Many of the buttons were older one piece flat buttons, but more interesting were the smaller two piece buttons that matched. On day one I found my first four which, after clean up, turned out to be New York Militia buttons! By the time I was done here I had recovered no less than 11 of them along with a small Union Artillery Kepi button and what I think might be an early U.S. Marine button.

All targets recovered showed signs of having been in a fire. Perhaps a whole military coat or vest was burned at this location, along with other household trash? Only 10 of the NY Militia buttons are pictured below because I gave one of the first four that I found to my neighbor for allowing me to hunt his property.

What has me wondering is why did a 19th century farmer in western Connecticut have a NY Militia uniform? I have researched the land records, US Census, and genealogy of the owner of this land. He was born in 1827 in Woodbridge, CT, bought the property in Bethel, CT around 1864 and died in 1924 in Bethel, CT. There is no record of him having served during the Indian or Civil Wars. All of his children were born during or after the Civil War.

Thanks for Looking!
Nick

Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button Back

Here's a picture of a typical button back (for the NY buttons). All of them still have the shanks attached.

Attachments

• 101_1623.jpg
    101_1623.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 266
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these buttons were recovered from the small patch of field pictured below. It was about 15 feet in from a stone wall that runs parallel the road.

Attachments

• 101_3720_resize.jpg
    101_3720_resize.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 174

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
Nick,

Nice finds. You might want to check out this site to confirm whether Civil War era or not or send a pic to Harry Ridgeway. He's got extensive knowledge on CW Buttons/stuff...Dan Binder is another expert. The lettering on the backmark looks post war to me but I'm no expert....if that anchor on what you think is a Marine button drops into the 6 o'clock position, it's probably Navy. Marine, I believe, has an eagle on top of a globe with anchor off to the 7 or 8 o'clock position.

Here's the site: Button backmarks, "Extra Quality". he also has relics for sale with pics at relicman.com

Good luck,
rovnrbl

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buttons are definitely civil war period and the eagle/anchor button is a navy, I think that style is slightly pre-war, similar to Alberts NA 101a that have 1840's--1850's backmarks. Strange that no coat buttons were found but I wouldn't complain about it too much :)

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick,

Nice finds. You might want to check out this site to confirm whether Civil War era or not or send a pic to Harry Ridgeway. He's got extensive knowledge on CW Buttons/stuff...Dan Binder is another expert. The lettering on the backmark looks post war to me but I'm no expert....if that anchor on what you think is a Marine button drops into the 6 o'clock position, it's probably Navy. Marine, I believe, has an eagle on top of a globe with anchor off to the 7 or 8 o'clock position.

Here's the site: Button backmarks, "Extra Quality". he also has relics for sale with pics at relicman.com

Good luck,
rovnrbl
Thanks for the link, rovnrbl53. I have sent pics to Harry Ridgeway as suggested.

Those buttons are definitely civil war period and the eagle/anchor button is a navy, I think that style is slightly pre-war, similar to Alberts NA 101a that have 1840's--1850's backmarks. Strange that no coat buttons were found but I wouldn't complain about it too much :)
No coat buttons of this type, dsinc but I did find a Union General Service coat button less than 100 feet away.

Attachments

• 100_9227_crop.jpg
    100_9227_crop.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You most likely dug a coat. The buttons match, and came from a very small area. I've seen this before. The coat gets discarded, either deliberately (like on a scarecrow), or lost/misplaced. The coat turns to dust, but the buttons remain. I dug a Union artilllery shell jacket (buttons) in Virginia and the circumstances were the same. Look for more and lok for thread still attached.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You most likely dug a coat. The buttons match, and came from a very small area. I've seen this before. The coat gets discarded, either deliberately (like on a scarecrow), or lost/misplaced. The coat turns to dust, but the buttons remain. I dug a Union artilllery shell jacket (buttons) in Virginia and the circumstances were the same. Look for more and lok for thread still attached.
No thread on these buttons...but I just found some thread on a one piece flat button, unrelated to this group of finds.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic bonanza of CW history!! :coffee2:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome buttons! Maybe the New Yorker was held captive and burned alive by the crazy CT Yankee!

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/