Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...which is the best, in my honest opinion. I'm typing this from my phone, so I will add pictures later.

So, earlier this week, I posted a thread about a possible (now confirmed) 18mm/0.71" lead ball with a sprue that I suspected was a musket ball. The general consensus is that it is indeed a field-molded musket ball from a Brown Bess musket.

20121212_201719.jpg

I subsequently learned that Brown Bess muskets were popular during the American Revolution and War of 1812 until the introduction of the rifled, extended-barrel Kentucky Rifle in 1838 gradually phased them out of military use. I did learn that muskets remained typical home defense weapons and family heirlooms over the next century, and Brown Bess muskets were still used likely by local militia during the Civil War.

Now, my hometown wasn't incorporated until 1892, and residential development didn't really explode until the 1920s. Prior to the residential development, the area where I found the bullet was the border between farms owned by prominent township families. My grandfather reminded me that most neighboring farms had dirt border paths/roads for field access.

darbyfull.jpg

A deeper local history investigation (not much exists prior to 1892) revealed that after kicking Washington's butt at Brandywine, British General Howe took Philadelphia...and on his way, he passed through my town! Granted, my town wasn't my town yet, it was still part of what was then called Derby (Darby, today):

706px-PhiladelCampaignHessianMap.jpg 5280.gif

In addition, there were one or two local militia camps here during the Civil War, and the Great Minquas Indian Trail passed through here during the colonial era. There is a 150-year bracket that this ball could have come from.

1-2-974-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0h9s1-a_349.jpg

Needless to say, I cannot WAIT for spring to come so I do more - better - digging in the warm. How's that for locally significant artifacts? :headbanger:

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bit of research into your colorful local history. I am of the same opinion that Local History is the best...it brings the past to life because it actually happened where we live today. Can't wait to see your photos!
Nick

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest: