Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All finds found on private property with owners permission. These finds represent alot of fun times!

1. A pile of Spanish silver cut pieces and cobs, mostly found one at a time but occasionally I found more than one in a single day. The oldest is undated and then a 1658 and two dated 1658.

2. A so called "Bucks of America" button, from the 1st black regiment of the revolutionary war. There is controversy over the legitimacy of such a regiment but it is surely listed in Albert's book of buttons as such. The shank is intact.

3. Virginia halfpenny - although I have dug others and several state coppers and halfpennies; none of them were in such presevered condition. Its beautiful.

4. RARE 1784 halfpenny - I have read that only some 35+ examples may exist of this coin. More info here:

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/UnattributedCount.html

5. A group of really old and complete buckles - maybe not a great feat for some but I have not had great luck finding complete colonial buckles. I have hundreds of pieces but only a few dozen complete. Mostly found damaged from the plow chewing them up.

6. 1674 dated King Charles farthing - I have found 4 of these but this one was by far the best. (3 came of the same site)

7. 1780ish-1815ish eagle button with only 11 stars - remarkable patina, I have had several offers to buy the thing but I am not interested in selling it. I am told it is rare especially in the condition.

8. George Washington Inaugural button - I understand that its value is based on how many denticles run around the edge. Also its worth more with a shank. I have never counted the denticles. This button was in my collection for years until I figured out what I had!

9. 1652 Massachusetts bay colonies oak tree sixpence - My favorite find! I cant begin to tell you the feeling I had when I dug this in the Spring of 1996. It was dug with 2 Spanish cobs (one dated 1658) and the other from the late 1500s - found on what I have been told was a trading post in the mid 1600s. Absolutely the most incredible spot I ever metal detected. When we discovered the spot on the Chesapeake bay, we knew we had an old site with its hundreds of pieces of clay tobacco pipe strewn everywhere -just didn't realize it was THAT old. My very first signal was a 1500s 1 reale Spanish cob. After a few more visits I found the Mass. coin and thought it was just a Spanish 1 reale but it was something much better! Incidentally I thought it was worthy of an article in the treasure magazines so I tried no less than 3 times to get my finds in an article to no avail. Meanwhile, they published article after article concerning dug buffalo nickels and silver "roosies". Maybe my articles sucked but the finds should have spoken for themselves.

Thats OK...I enjoy them nonetheless...

HH, Gary

Attachments

• pieces.jpg
    pieces.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8,175
  • piecesr.jpg
    piecesr.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18,857
  • boas.jpg
    boas.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7,928
  • 1773t.jpg
    1773t.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7,918
  • 1784s.jpg
    1784s.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 7,849
  • buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 7,947
  • bucklesr.jpg
    bucklesr.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 7,794
  • fars.jpg
    fars.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 7,774
  • eags.jpg
    eags.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7,872
  • ins.jpg
    ins.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7,681
  • 1652s.jpg
    1652s.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7,755
Upvote 37

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was wondering if you have found anything since this original post that you would include. Do you primarily only find early Spanish silver because the only three I have found are early too. Ive hunted plenty of sites where it should be but just cant get over a late 1700s Spanish silver. Have found only one state copper and no freshly dropped early large cents for that matter. My theory is the prosperity of the eastern shore declined after the revolution. There was a lot of loyalist sentiment over here

Last edited:

T-Ricks!

May 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some amazing finds Brotha!! Thanks for sharing your luck with the rest of us.

T-R

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My goodness that's a lot of holy grails in one post. I feel as tiny as an ant looking at those finds. I know this is an old post, but the relics on here are timeless. Cheers and thanks for the motivation;)

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post!
That Virginia HP is a prize for sure.
Mass 6d is also an interesting variety, commonly known as the 'In Reverse' variety, but technically it's a Noe.16/Cr.6-f/W.27A.
The only Mass Silver that I know of with 'IN and 'ANO' crowded onto the reverse, especially notable on the smaller 6d flan.
Seems two different hands worked the obverse and reverse dies, Massathvsetts is crude and poorly spaced, while the reverse has well formed letters and spacing cut by a sure hand.
My interest is spurred as I recently came across my first 6d, and it is an 'In Reverse' (sadly with a central hole punched through it).
Regardless, Mass Silver is Mass Silver and now I have at least one of each denomination, and am hoping to eventually recover an example of each type :laughing9:
Thanks for posting and best wishes for your continued success.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forgot all about this post. I definitely need to update it. Should be close to 100 Spanish silvers by now. The 8 reales and 17th century decorated pommel should be added to this post. Plus I found a couple more Massachusetts cut silvers. What I need is more early military but thats tough around here. Thanks for the replies.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was wondering if you have found anything since this original post that you would include. Do you primarily only find early Spanish silver because the only three I have found are early too. Ive hunted plenty of sites where it should be but just cant get over a late 1700s Spanish silver. Have found only one state copper and no freshly dropped early large cents for that matter. My theory is the prosperity of the eastern shore declined after the revolution. There was a lot of loyalist sentiment over here

I have lots of later Spanish silver reales - the bust type. I have found so many that they're a fairly common find even on early to mid 19th century sites. I like the cut pieces and cobs the best. I'd get excited about a milled 4 or 8 reales. Most definitely if they were of the pillar type. As far as coppers, we get a lot of them - mostly rough condition. I've probably found hundreds of large cents over the years - even have cut ones. You should be hitting more of them not sure why they're not coming out for you. Weird. There are some poor areas on Delmarva for sure - just need to get to where the massive activity was. I like to use the old maps and try to concentrate where the clusters of houses were. I have one county that was so dense with very early activity that you can just walk in random fields and find old coins and relics. Thats exactly where we concentrate our efforts too. My old detecting buddies didnt care for later finds like indian head pennies. I like them and my wife does too. I cant tell you how many times I was forced to leave productive sites because my buddies deemed them "way to late" to hunt. Even when we were digging indians and barbers! I like colonial best of course but I wont pass up that stuff if its coming out of the ground.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful finds! The Oak Tree is my favorite of your finds too!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you GW!!!! So jealous of all your early finds. Every time I think I like you I look at this post and I suddenly dislike you....I'm a jealous lil man I suppose lol

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible! The patina on your favorite brass\coppers is amazing. The silver makes me drool. I cant wait to see what the updated version of your list is :occasion14:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have lots of later Spanish silver reales - the bust type. I have found so many that they're a fairly common find even on early to mid 19th century sites. I like the cut pieces and cobs the best. I'd get excited about a milled 4 or 8 reales. Most definitely if they were of the pillar type. As far as coppers, we get a lot of them - mostly rough condition. I've probably found hundreds of large cents over the years - even have cut ones. You should be hitting more of them not sure why they're not coming out for you. Weird. There are some poor areas on Delmarva for sure - just need to get to where the massive activity was. I like to use the old maps and try to concentrate where the clusters of houses were. I have one county that was so dense with very early activity that you can just walk in random fields and find old coins and relics. Thats exactly where we concentrate our efforts too. My old detecting buddies didnt care for later finds like indian head pennies. I like them and my wife does too. I cant tell you how many times I was forced to leave productive sites because my buddies deemed them "way to late" to hunt. Even when we were digging indians and barbers! I like colonial best of course but I wont pass up that stuff if its coming out of the ground.

Ive only been detecting for a few years but I have found at least 5-6 colonial/early American sites. Most by just walking into random fields as you speak of. I doubt there is anywhere else on the shore with a larger concentration of early settlement than where I live. Probably why I mostly find the earlier stuff. You probably found most of that early stuff in my backyard

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ive only been detecting for a few years but I have found at least 5-6 colonial/early American sites. Most by just walking into random fields as you speak of. I doubt there is anywhere else on the shore with a larger concentration of early settlement than where I live. Probably why I mostly find the earlier stuff. You probably found most of that early stuff in my backyard
lol. Its very possible. The old Atlases were the keys to my earlier success. But there really is no substitute for just walking the fields and using common sense. Another secret is to get the old land grant maps and focus in on where there are dozens of closely knit patents of 50 to 100 acres. Sometimes you'll find 2 or 3 colonial sites in one field that way. There's an area I camp out at every year that my buddies nicknamed "garyland" because I discovered damn near a whole colonial town there using this method. Old Scots running from across the pond, escaping religious persecution (a familiar story for Md.). I first found that area and broke it open via the patent method some 20 years ago. Bill D's writings helped me refine it in recent years. I already have several more fields to try over there with some more recent research. No shortage of early sites to hunt in my lifetime. Just not enough time.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Toasted- not sure of your name? If youre on the southern side of the shore, check this out. The potential in our area is amazing. This is a significant find for the shore. Too far for me to go in this lifetime with all my family responsibilities. About 1.5 hr drive from here. I can go half that distance maybe. Luckily the stuff is still 1660s within my hunt area. I can live with that.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/...cle_c05265de-8c44-55b1-9124-dbb822941af2.html

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol. Its very possible. The old Atlases were the keys to my earlier success. But there really is no substitute for just walking the fields and using common sense. Another secret is to get the old land grant maps and focus in on where there are dozens of closely knit patents of 50 to 100 acres. Sometimes you'll find 2 or 3 colonial sites in one field that way. There's an area I camp out at every year that my buddies nicknamed "garyland" because I discovered damn near a whole colonial town there using this method. Old Scots running from across the pond, escaping religious persecution (a familiar story for Md.). I first found that area and broke it open via the patent method some 20 years ago. Bill D's writings helped me refine it in recent years. I already have several more fields to try over there with some more recent research. No shortage of early sites to hunt in my lifetime. Just not enough time.

Im definately a noob when it comes to the early research. How do you get early land grant maps. Ive heard a lot of the early records for my area were lost in fires

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Toasted- not sure of your name? If youre on the southern side of the shore, check this out. The potential in our area is amazing. This is a significant find for the shore. Too far for me to go in this lifetime with all my family responsibilities. About 1.5 hr drive from here. I can go half that distance maybe. Luckily the stuff is still 1660s within my hunt area. I can live with that.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/...cle_c05265de-8c44-55b1-9124-dbb822941af2.html
Cool you are not near me so there still may be some stuff out there for me. Lol. Explains why Im finding cobs on school playgrounds:o

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have an amazing collection-I can't imagine how many hundreds of hours of research and detecting went into finding them, but it sounds like you have enjoyed every minute of it. And you do it for the right reasons (i.e. not for profit). Keep digging!

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im definately a noob when it comes to the early research. How do you get early land grant maps. Ive heard a lot of the early records for my area were lost in fires
Thats a bummer. The areas I hunt have been mapped fairly well through the centuries and esp the last 100 years. I have recent books which give the names of the early patents and even show how they fit together.

Currently trying to get my wife to move 30 minutes South so we'd be closer to our favorite areas but not sure how much luck I'll have on that front. We went and looked at a house in Snow Hill yesterday and its perfect but she's sentimentally tied to our current home. Plus our house is 3548 sq ft and I am tired of taking care of it. The 2 oldest kids moved out years ago. Just 3 of us now and 1500 sq ft is more than enough.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My family and friends went camping at Cherrystone a few months ago and I used the time to scout the area, of course. I've always been fascinated with the Eastern Shore because of all the records that still exist. Our records on the western shore were burnt (mostly) so research is tough. I have my eyes on a few early sites I've researched so I plan on going back this winter to do some door knocking. Do you hunt down in Northampton much?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread