Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All finds found on private property with owners permission. These finds represent alot of fun times!

1. A pile of Spanish silver cut pieces and cobs, mostly found one at a time but occasionally I found more than one in a single day. The oldest is undated and then a 1658 and two dated 1658.

2. A so called "Bucks of America" button, from the 1st black regiment of the revolutionary war. There is controversy over the legitimacy of such a regiment but it is surely listed in Albert's book of buttons as such. The shank is intact.

3. Virginia halfpenny - although I have dug others and several state coppers and halfpennies; none of them were in such presevered condition. Its beautiful.

4. RARE 1784 halfpenny - I have read that only some 35+ examples may exist of this coin. More info here:

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/UnattributedCount.html

5. A group of really old and complete buckles - maybe not a great feat for some but I have not had great luck finding complete colonial buckles. I have hundreds of pieces but only a few dozen complete. Mostly found damaged from the plow chewing them up.

6. 1674 dated King Charles farthing - I have found 4 of these but this one was by far the best. (3 came of the same site)

7. 1780ish-1815ish eagle button with only 11 stars - remarkable patina, I have had several offers to buy the thing but I am not interested in selling it. I am told it is rare especially in the condition.

8. George Washington Inaugural button - I understand that its value is based on how many denticles run around the edge. Also its worth more with a shank. I have never counted the denticles. This button was in my collection for years until I figured out what I had!

9. 1652 Massachusetts bay colonies oak tree sixpence - My favorite find! I cant begin to tell you the feeling I had when I dug this in the Spring of 1996. It was dug with 2 Spanish cobs (one dated 1658) and the other from the late 1500s - found on what I have been told was a trading post in the mid 1600s. Absolutely the most incredible spot I ever metal detected. When we discovered the spot on the Chesapeake bay, we knew we had an old site with its hundreds of pieces of clay tobacco pipe strewn everywhere -just didn't realize it was THAT old. My very first signal was a 1500s 1 reale Spanish cob. After a few more visits I found the Mass. coin and thought it was just a Spanish 1 reale but it was something much better! Incidentally I thought it was worthy of an article in the treasure magazines so I tried no less than 3 times to get my finds in an article to no avail. Meanwhile, they published article after article concerning dug buffalo nickels and silver "roosies". Maybe my articles sucked but the finds should have spoken for themselves.

Thats OK...I enjoy them nonetheless...

HH, Gary

Attachments

• pieces.jpg
    pieces.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8,175
  • piecesr.jpg
    piecesr.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18,857
  • boas.jpg
    boas.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7,928
  • 1773t.jpg
    1773t.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7,918
  • 1784s.jpg
    1784s.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 7,849
  • buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 7,947
  • bucklesr.jpg
    bucklesr.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 7,794
  • fars.jpg
    fars.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 7,774
  • eags.jpg
    eags.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7,872
  • ins.jpg
    ins.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7,681
  • 1652s.jpg
    1652s.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7,755
Upvote 37

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats AMAZING!! I would love to have some finds like those!! You have done an amazing job preserving history!!!

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Impressive!!!!!! That's a wonderful collection!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread