Pre-Columbian Gold (x 3 approx 900-1500 A.D.)

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004

Attachments

• TuumbagaFiguresPreCol1.jpg
    TuumbagaFiguresPreCol1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 4,741
  • TuumbagaFiguresPreCol2.jpg
    TuumbagaFiguresPreCol2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 3,644
  • TuumbagaFiguresPreCol3.jpg
    TuumbagaFiguresPreCol3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,642
  • TuumbagaFiguresPreCol4.jpg
    TuumbagaFiguresPreCol4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,640
  • TuumbagaFiguresPreCol5.jpg
    TuumbagaFiguresPreCol5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 3,854
Upvote 0
D

drtim

Gunner said:
Just acquired these little guys today. One is what I believe to be a "lizard god"...another is an effigy of a Parrot, and the third is censored due to a phallus :).

These date from 900-1500 A.D.

Gunner

First, these pieces are NOT Tumbaga. Tumbaga is an alloy of copper and gold, Tumbaga is visually obvious. These appear to be pure cast gold of decent quality. Second, they appear to be of modern origin - while nicely crafted, very unlikely to be authentic - however, if you would care to site the provenience of your pieces, please do so. Otherwise, I would have to consider your statements about these pieces as erroneous. For more information about Tumbaga and numerous authentic gold artifacts examples, I suggest visiting http://www.PrecolumbianGold.com

Dr. Tim McGuinness

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
drtim said:
Gunner said:
Just acquired these little guys today. One is what I believe to be a "lizard god"...another is an effigy of a Parrot, and the third is censored due to a phallus :).

Gunner

First, these pieces are NOT Tumbaga. Tumbaga is an alloy of copper and gold, Tumbaga is visually obvious. These appear to be pure cast gold of decent quality. Second, they appear to be of modern origin - while nicely crafted, very unlikely to be authentic - however, if you would care to site the provenience of your pieces, please do so. Otherwise, I would have to consider your statements about these pieces as erroneous. For more information about Tumbaga and numerous authentic gold artifacts examples, I suggest visiting http://www.PrecolumbianGold.com

Dr. Tim McGuinness

Thanks for chiming in Dr. Tim. I am contacting the individual I acquired these from (a good friend of mine). He is going to come on the boards and give the history of his acquisition of these pieces. I don't have all of the details and I want to give accurrate information. I have utilized your website before and it is fantastic. Again, thank you for the feedback!

P.S. It is legal to own them (even if authentic)

Gunner

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is cool!! The craftsmanship on stuff this old always amazes me. They worked so hard to perfect these pieces back then. It's incredible also to think they've lasted this long, unharmed.

rcuya

Apr 29, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites classic III
drtim said:
Gunner said:

Gunner

Dr. Tim McGuinness
If you go to that website, then click Tairona gold, then go to the second to last row of photos they look like they are meant to be the same thing, or aleast to me they do.

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
rcuya said:
drtim said:
Gunner said:

Gunner

Dr. Tim McGuinness
If you go to that website, then click Tairona gold, then go to the second to last row of photos they look like they are meant to be the same thing, or aleast to me they do.
ya..I saw that. I believe these are authentic...I have handled several ancient items and these don't give me that "bad" feeling when I have them in-hand. If they are modern..the forger is a true master.

Gunner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread