Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, been kind of bored having the winter doldrums :( so I thought I'd post my particular best finds since I started detecting that I never posted before. :) and perhaps do a little bragging ;D

I started detecting in 1993 and my first major find came in 1998 was really unexpected and I attribute it to sheer luck, although later on I realized there was a circa late 1700's cellar hole nearby. The complete story can be found in the April 1999 issue of Western @ Eastern treasures magazine.

So my first best find was: a 1793 Chain Cent

Attachments

• 1793 Chain Cent.JPG
    1793 Chain Cent.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,556
  • 1998.jpg
    1998.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,034
Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't call it braggin,more like sharing the thrill of the hunt ! Now can i go huntin with you ? :D ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

HH

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would revive this post from the archives to give you a well deserved congratulations on a spectacular chain cent. I hadn't seen the post before today. So... do you still have the coin today? Anyways... congrats on a superb find.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pjroo33 said:
Thought I would revive this post from the archives to give you a well deserved congratulations on a spectacular chain cent. I hadn't seen the post before today. So... do you still have the coin today? Anyways... congrats on a superb find.

Oh thanks, NO, I sold it soon after on Ebay, I got $2,750.00 for it, back in 1999...............Rich

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Central PA said:
pjroo33 said:

Oh thanks, NO, I sold it soon after on Ebay, I got $2,750.00 for it, back in 1999...............Rich

Wow....and my wife says metal detecting can't be lucrative!!

I'm sure it was hard getting rid of a coin like that. At least until you were holding all that money.

slapeddicus

Greenie
Aug 7, 2008
west london
Detector(s) used
minelab se(back up cortes)
Rich in Central PA said:
pjroo33 said:

Rich, even to me a BRIT that seem very old for your part of this small world :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slapeddicus said:
Rich in Central PA said:
pjroo33 said:

Rich, even to me a BRIT that seem very old for your part of this small world :thumbsup:

Well, we fortunately live in the state (Pennsylvania) where these 1793 Chain Cents were minted (Philadelphia). I'm about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Philadelphia, so many of the 36,103 that were minted, circulated throughout Pennsylvania, and fortunately in my area. A few reported 1793 Chain Cents are dug every now and then, the most recent one was just dug the other day by jfx55 very close to the Philadelphia area. I hope you saw it. Its on "Todays Finds" ........................Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread