PUT ALL YOUR IRONS IN THE FIRE

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
Lets see the irons you have dug up. I enjoy finding them, not so much carrying them back to the truck because I'm usually a ways from it. These are some I've found, I found the handles in different places and welded them on and painted them. I know thats kind of taboo, but they arn't worth much like they were. Good luck in all your hunts.
FINDS 002.jpg

Upvote 0

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look nice, I have never found any but my mom had a few on our mantle. You did a good job welding, I would of done the same.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I very rarely get in depth about "My best finds" when a stranger approaches me, after all what they want to hear is the most expensive jewelry or rare coins I've found on the beach or fields. But the best find ever was an iron like one of yours above.
My grandmother was born in 1904 in a small hotel that was a fishing/hunting camp as far as I can tell late 1800's-1970's, but in many different stages.
I didn't know she had a brother until the 1980's when my dad mentioned it and Grandma told me a story that in 1912 he went missing as a toddler, soon to be found drowned in the creek where he had been playing between two rowboats and quietly fell between them. That spot is still there where it happened although none of the buildings still stand, and I have only ever seen pictures of what it looked like then, pieces of the foundation still remain to this day.
five years ago I decided to try detecting the small area and found many pieces of old copper, brass and bronze boat and dock fittings, all clearly from the hotel days. I had been detecting for ten years by this time and only found clad coins, scissors, flip tops and one or two pieces of gold , some silver from beaches that I only went to in perfect weather, in the summer. My best find up to then was anything that wasn't iron (Fe), flip tops or buried beer cans.
Walking back to my car through black clay gravel and mud I realized I was within feet of where those two rowboats were tied up 90+ years earlier, and I could easily see the foundation of the hotel where my grandmother was born more than one hundred years earlier. All by myself I couldn't help but think of the family , now mostly gone , and no one left that would remember the hotel. My old Fisher suddenly burped out a loud saturation signal that tells me of a giant piece of iron that woke me up like an alarm. I knew it was Fe and normally I would keep going, but it seemed like it was very shallow and I might be able to kick it out of the clay without bending over, so why not. As I half heartedly pinpointed the signal between the rocks I noticed a strange shape clearly visible on the surface, giving it a kick, it came out immediately. The hair on my neck and arms stood up as I looked down at an old stove top type iron. Not in good shape, dirty and rusty it was certainly an iron that was owned and used by my great grandparents and grandmother.
Now I detect 12 months a year in any wheather , from the ocean to the mountains. I've found thousands of dollars worth of gold and silver... but my very best find to this day is that iron.

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very rarely get in depth about "My best finds" when a stranger approaches me, after all what they want to hear is the most expensive jewelry or rare coins I've found on the beach or fields. But the best find ever was an iron like one of yours above.
My grandmother was born in 1904 in a small hotel that was a fishing/hunting camp as far as I can tell late 1800's-1970's, but in many different stages.
I didn't know she had a brother until the 1980's when my dad mentioned it and Grandma told me a story that in 1912 he went missing as a toddler, soon to be found drowned in the creek where he had been playing between two rowboats and quietly fell between them. That spot is still there where it happened although none of the buildings still stand, and I have only ever seen pictures of what it looked like then, pieces of the foundation still remain to this day.
five years ago I decided to try detecting the small area and found many pieces of old copper, brass and bronze boat and dock fittings, all clearly from the hotel days. I had been detecting for ten years by this time and only found clad coins, scissors, flip tops and one or two pieces of gold , some silver from beaches that I only went to in perfect weather, in the summer. My best find up to then was anything that wasn't iron (Fe), flip tops or buried beer cans.
Walking back to my car through black clay gravel and mud I realized I was within feet of where those two rowboats were tied up 90+ years earlier, and I could easily see the foundation of the hotel where my grandmother was born more than one hundred years earlier. All by myself I couldn't help but think of the family , now mostly gone , and no one left that would remember the hotel. My old Fisher suddenly burped out a loud saturation signal that tells me of a giant piece of iron that woke me up like an alarm. I knew it was Fe and normally I would keep going, but it seemed like it was very shallow and I might be able to kick it out of the clay without bending over, so why not. As I half heartedly pinpointed the signal between the rocks I noticed a strange shape clearly visible on the surface, giving it a kick, it came out immediately. The hair on my neck and arms stood up as I looked down at an old stove top type iron. Not in good shape, dirty and rusty it was certainly an iron that was owned and used by my great grandparents and grandmother.
Now I detect 12 months a year in any wheather , from the ocean to the mountains. I've found thousands of dollars worth of gold and silver... but my very best find to this day is that iron.
Great story Mike! Very interesting.

OP
OP
lost crow

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas

That is a cool story, I would love to find something belonging to one of my ancestors.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have one that I found in an abandon house. Used it for a door stop for years. I probably would have forgotten about it except for this post. I lost it somewhere, hey maybe someone with a metal detector will find it! Nice collection! H Digs :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread