Trashed brassy mesh turned out to be a RARE ANTIQUE WHITING&DAVIS BAG

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I opened the box containing this chain mesh mess, I could not figure out :dontknow:what it was supposed to be. The blob of tarnished fine chain mail, a bell shaped cap, little rings, and a twisted band was filthy and mangled. With a hopeless sigh, I feared it would most likely end up in the trash.
bellmeshbefore-mess.png I cleaned it up with baking soda, vinegar, and a squirt of liquid dish soap. Then I laid it out to dry on a cotton towel and studied the pieces in hopes to discover clues or a pattern of sort. I don't know why I just had to have this thing.
I decided it was either of brass or a gold-wash brass. As I began to connect the links and reconstruct the pieces, I began to see how unusual this piece really was. I had acquired the mangled mess for almost nothing at a local junque shop, but soon discovered that what I had was a most rare find, and worth far more than I could have ever imagined. This was an antique drawstring, mesh purse of some sort. As the thing started to take shape, I started searching antique purses. Then I found the the telltale clue... a tiny "Whiting & Davis" tag, still attached to the body of fine chain mail mesh.
Bellbag-WDtag.png Goldchainmail-VeryRareBelltop.gif VERY RARE-EARLY WHITING & DAVIS BELLTOP GOLD MESH PURSE

Amazingly, every tiny gold dangle, every link, draw chain and tassel, were all there. Upon completion I realized that I had resurrected a fine historic and very rare "Whiting & Davis" antique mesh purse. When I finished piecing it all together, it was absolutely stunning.
To my best estimate, this rare piece was worth around $1800-$2200,:hello2: although no dollar amount was shown for another purse I found in a reference book, best resembling what I had.
Still, the most exciting part about my find is that I had just spared this rare historic piece from the trash. I cringe every time I think - 'what if I hadn't picked it up and bought it?':BangHead: - JSpinner

Upvote 0

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after untangling my wifes gold chains dozens of times i must say that you,sir,must have the patience of Job. congrats on a great find.

OP
OP
JSpinner

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after untangling my wifes gold chains dozens of times i must say that you,sir,must have the patience of Job. congrats on a great find.

Patience, I do not have. But, with mega-curiosity and focused persistence with driving determination, I might achieve a goal I've set on. I just had to figure that thing out. It took me over a week to finally put it back together. It definitely was the the biggest 'meshed up mess' I had ever tackled. I don't know if I'd do it again. But, with what it is worth... Yeah, I guess I would. It was really exciting once I had a clue as to what it was. Believe me, I have never seen anything like that before. It is really cool, though.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice:thumbsup: Congratulations:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread