OP
OP
cream43

cream43

Jan 3, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
No I haven't tried panning for gold, although it is said that every stream in Alaska has gold in it. I am planning to spend two weeks in the bush detecting for nuggets at Ganes Creek again this year. You can see our group picture (I'm the tall one right center) by going to Clark/Wiltz mining web site, lots more nugget pic's there also. ;) :)

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
They say Ganes creek is THE place for nugs like this one! It looks like they are right. It is a goal of mine to get up that way and do some prospecting for sure!
You have a definite beauty there. I have been prospecting for years and never found anything even CLOSE to that!!!
Wonderful job!
~Nash~

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Now that is a whopper, wow,,, very beautiful nugget,
Happy Hunting
Eddy

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Awesome , Cream.! Is it difficult, legally , to prospect in Alaska??
....I think alot of people are suddenly considering going...LOL....Joe

OP
OP
cream43

cream43

Jan 3, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
No its not difficult, there are several spots open to the public and GPAA has a spot at Mills Creek. However, the access to tailing piles with the potential for large nuggets is very limited. There are 2 pay to mine operations that give this opportunity. I found this one at Ganes Creek (online google Clark/Wiltz mining) The other good spot is Moore Creek (online also). Tailings can be found near the road in the Chicken, Ak area and spots close to Fairbanks. Do your homework as Alaska can bite you in many ways, namely Grizzly, mosquito and your pocketbook, not to mention flooding streams and bad off roads, besides that its a great big adventurous place that is hard to leave.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
cream43 said:
...besides that its a great big adventurous place that is hard to leave.

I heard the Salmon and Steelhead fishing is out of this world, but you practically have to wear a mosquito net just to make one cast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread