PLANTERS BANK COUNTERSTAMP IN BEST FINDS 2012 WESTERN AND EASTERN TREASURE MAGAZINE

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piece of eight.gif
In early 2012 I obtained permission to detect an old Victorian home here in Tylertown, southwest Mississippi. There used to be a store next door during the first world war so I was hoping to find silver. The house had a flow well and that's where I started. Not less than 15 minutes I got a silver quarter signal about 4-5 inches down with my whites DFX detector. What I unearthed shocked me, it was my first piece of eight! That's all I knew; why would Spanish coins have American symbols and French writing on it? I sent pictures of the piece to Mark Parker of Western and Eastern Treasures magazine and about a week later he wrote back. What he replied floored me. He said that I had found what is sure to be one of the best finds of 2012 and it did make it! He informed me that it was a Planters Bank counter stamped piece of eight (2 bits) of Spanish silver used during the war of 1812! And they only made them 3 or 4 years. They sell at auctions for around 5 thousand dollars! You really, really don't know what your next find will be.

Upvote 5

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on what has to be the find of your life-so far that is! Go over the place w/fine-toothed comb,you may find a lot more. Best of luck in the new season coming up and HH....

66hotel

Mar 15, 2013
west centrsl,ms
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, garrett ace 150,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a wonderful find. I'm familiar with that part of the state, grew up in Brookhaven. HH, Terry.

OP
OP
dfx-kevin

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's with Mississippi having only one detecting club way up in Corinth so much history here to be dug up and no clubs what gives

OP
OP
dfx-kevin

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey swamp yankee , the house is now a rental and being trashed but im sure there has to be something good still there , has a lot of surface trash- what a shame

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread