Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks. Here it is. My best find to date and (in my opinion) my best video so far. Find it, dig it, open it, research it and treasure it... All live. Please "share" it "like" it and subscribe. Thanks for taking the time to watch. Happy hunting.

Upvote 8

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr. Tones,
Excellent video, however, railroad watches are higher quality than this watch and never in a lidded case, they must be open face.
I have repaired two similar watches that were found after being lost for more than a hundred years, but they were not in as badly rusted condition as yours. However the case can easily be repaired and another movement from that period can be put in the case.
Congratulations. Great find.
Travis, retired watch maker & jeweler

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Your watch case is absolutely beautiful! :headbang::occasion18::icon_thumright: Thanks for super video --- it has everything! --- The excitement of discovery, history, & first look inside back! Andi

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice find and outstanding VID (pictures, sound, narration, etc.) Dr.Tones.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeweler- did you tune out half way through?:laughing7:

kriopelle

Jun 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350
Bounty hunter ss
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent video!!!! Awesome find!!! WTG!! Good luck and HH.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome video! i understand the curiousity getting the best of ya

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding job on the video and a nice history lesson on pocket watches. Congrats on an awesome find.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeweler- did you tune out half way through?:laughing7:

No. I thought you did a nice job with the video. Just saying, you found an orange and wrote the history of an apple.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just trying to show what I learned about pocket watches while researching the one that I found. As I mentioned in the video mine clearly does not meet the criteria for a railroad time peice, but I would have never known any of that without first learning about the history of pocket watches in America. So HOPEFULLY there's some people out there that might know a little more about their pocket watches now. Not trying to dress mine up. Just thought it was cool what I learned.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Have you looked for any of the repair dates? That tells a lot about the history of a watch. I myself collect South Bend Studebaker watches.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing video, well done! You provided a great education on pocket watches. And you got me thinking... the pocket watch watch-paper engraved plate I found was only 100 yards from a popular railroad. I think the watch maker, John Mecke, went from Philly to NJ to sell his wares. Well, anyway, fantastic stuff.

des82210

Nov 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm wonder the worth of this Elgin 14k pocket watch and how to get serial # on movement?
Thank you

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found an Elgin with the Keystone case. I was told that the cases were "25 year" cases. They were guaranteed not to wear out in 25 years, however most were lost within that time frame......nge

icemncmth

Nov 10, 2015
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful watch. My uncle use to collect pocket watches and I do remember him having one pretty much like what you have. I know that a lot were engraved afterwards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread