My best find, in my wifes coin purse...

marky777

Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best find, in my wife's coin purse...

Back in 2008 or so, before gold skyrocketed, we were at the salon getting cuts for our daughters.

At some point I had asked my wife for a couple quarters so I could go next door and get a paper.

I saw this tiny almost token looking thing, not quite copper colored, not quite gold colored, just weird looking. It was
exactly the diameter of a regular dime.

I pulled it out and had a closer look, it looked unlike any coin I had ever seen, but as soon as I got home I started checking it out, turned out to be a 1929 2.50 gold eagle! They had mixed copper in with these to make them more durable, and the stamping was inset into the coin, nothing raised. Okay I thought, 20 30 bucks maybe.

I put it on Ebay and it was bought for over 800 dollars! Would have held on to it but we were scraping bottom and that was a godsend.

Check that change ! :) Beats anything I ever found with the detectors thats for sure....

gold coin front.jpg gold coin back.jpg

Upvote 3

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet Marky! Wow! That is one heck of a find!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.. Glad to hear of your find and how it helped you out... Sorry to hear you had to part with it though..

OP
OP
M

marky777

Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are on ebay for 250 now??? Is gold worth more now???

Coins are different from gold, condition is everything, perhaps the market is softer now as people sell while gold is high?

I know the condition was very good though no idea of the mint state, I provided high res scans during the listing and the place that bought it takes coins, grades and slabs them and resells in their physical store and online. Trust me, nobody was more surprised!

Here's the Ebay feedback:

Thanks For The Coin!! Would Do Buisness With Again!! Fast Shipping!! Buyer: Member id tnfc ( Feedback Score Of 59664) Sep-04-09 13:57
1929 2 1/2 DOLLAR INDIAN HEAD QUARTER EAGLE GOLD COIN (#140341605948) US $820.00

Perhaps I hit the market at the right time? Dunno, I've also like you seen these listed from 200+ to 900+, They look at things like the detail of the feathers on the head, if the details there are still crisp that grades it higher as they are the first to wear out even though most of the coin is stamped subsurface.

Betcha I never find another one! :) fyi the difference between MS63 and MS64/5 on these coins is substantial.

EDIT: Either way, I've always been curious as to what happened to the coin, I checked out the buyer's feedback for that time period (they are a big seller on Ebay of coins only), and did run across an auction less that a month later for that same mintage, but, it was listed as MS58 I believe, and sold for 240 dollars. I found nothing else the rest of the year. Am beginning to think I was the windshield not the bug on that one. Hard to say, 200 bucks would have left me giddy, 820? Didn't know what to think lol. I'll see if I can contact the buyer from back then and find out if that is indeed the same coin, it had some minor scratches on the reverse which are telltale.

Last edited:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have to do what pays the bills, nice coin.:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread