SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had the chance to post this. My first silver coin I found (and only at the moment) was a.......... 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime. I found it on December 28, 2012 , I will NEVER forget that day. On the 25 (Christmas) I received a Garrett Pro Pointer. I would have NEVER have found that half dime without it because of its size! I started off using the Garrett Ace 350 and heard a really loud iron signal so I dug it since I was in a Confederate camp. I found a bunch of nails After going back over the hole I heard nothing! So I covered up the 14 inches down hole. A friend I was detecting with said to go back over it with his machine. His detector was the Tesero Cibola. It picked it up immediately! I was so happy to find it. Right next to it I found a flat button and a Civil War mess knife. Now it gets even more interesting. After 2 months my friend decided to go back and see what else he could find. All the way across the land he found a Confederate (assuming) sword hanger. There was a date on the hanger and the year was........ 1832! The same exact years. My half dime had a hole punched in it for a necklace. What if that soldier wore that half dime because it was the same year as the sword hanger or the other way around, or maybe just a really odd coincidence. Thought I would share this story with you T-Net members. This is my first and only silver so far. I'm 13 years old and have been detecting for 4 years now. Thank y'all for reading. Good luck and happy hunting.
photo (2).JPG

Upvote 4

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Find. Congrats..... Sure was a good one for a first. :) HH

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to mention my year was the second lowest mintage number for capped bust half dimes! Thanks y'all for reading!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some nice finds and thanks for sharing the pic and story! Got any pics of the mess knife and button? They would be nice to see!

Frank

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice finds and thanks for sharing the pic and story! Got any pics of the mess knife and button? They would be nice to see!

Frank

Ill take some soon :)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good! Excellent story!! My first was a 1952 quarter, in Connecticut, and I live on West coast...!
Keep up the good work! That Cibola runs deep, I know! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread