wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
after waiting almost 2 years, the Erie county sheriffs dept. has returned the smith and Wesson pistol I found in lake erie. true to their word I had to sign a property release form and I was good to go. had the gun been operational I would have needed a court order but it would have been returned as well. I had a nice chat with the deputy, we shook hands and I was off. as it turns out the gun was too rusty for a ballistic test and nothing came up on the serial number. for those of you who do find guns please do the right thing and turn them in, someones life may depend on it. for those of you who thought I would never see it again here's proof, they even threw in the evidence box. I am one happy camper tonight and best of all I cleaned out the cylinders and it is not loaded, I may just give it a few dips in clear polyurethane and leave it like it is.

happy hunting to all.

Upvote 4

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Nice to see it returned as promised. Back in 76, while on vacation in Texas, my brother found a hand grenade, yes a hand grenade at a closed down train depot. We wrapped it in a blanket and drove it back to central Ohio. Well mom had a fit, rightly so and called the sheriffs office. It was suppose to come back, but was not returned.

Enjoy and Keep Swinging

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not positive, however that looks like the gun used to kill Jimmy Hoffa. You may have been within a couple of feet of his body!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that. glad you got it back. you can never have enough boxes of rusty junk

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dollars to doughnuts, that dude popped SOMEbody.

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I doubt seriously it was used in a crime. there has been a lot of fired and dimpled ammunition found at this site, in this and a few other calibers as well. my guess is it either came from the old fishtug that went to pieces on the rocks in the 4th of july floods of 1969, or some kid had daddy's gun and was shooting when the cops showed up and rather than get caught threw the pistol in the lake. either way it will make a nice wall hanger and conversation piece.

fano169

Jul 23, 2012
Awhile back I found a loaded 9 mm in a park , called cops and the hauled it away , was wraped in a plastic bag and burried 3 inches down

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd say it is 1940's it looks a lot like the pistol pilots used. JFK carried one on pt109 as well. probably war surplus or a bring back.
kudos on turning the 9mm in fano 169, you may have saved someones life. some gang banger probably hid it to use later .

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder why it took so long? One quick glance tells you that it is beyond testing. It appears that they didn't even attempt to clean it.
Oh, well; at least you got it back.
It has some value, too. I have seen similar dug-up guns sell for 25 to 45 dollars.

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
rusty ?, this guns has probably been in the lake longer than I've been breathing.
no idea on why it took so long, probably more because the deputies are short on manpower , they do a great job for us here, so no complaints. value ? it will not go up for sale any time soon.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very glad you got it back and I think leaving it like it is is a good idea,don't want to clean it up too much probably.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score wwwtimmcp! I have a S&W "Bible" and can help you date your Model 10 (?) .38 caliber revolver based on serial number alone. If you would like that, fire off a message to me and I would be glad to help. Is the serial number visible on the bottom strap of the grip frame? Happy Hunting, Sub8-)

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Yeah, I too would say that it is a .38 special caliber S&W Model 10.

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't see a serial number, but it looks like numbers behind the cylinder on the right side of the gun, opposite of the loading side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions