old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back from a short vacation just last week from an invitation from Larson 1951 in North Dakota. I was privileged and given permission to search a 200+ year old Mandan Indian village. I was told by the land owner that it was possible that trade items like beads and metal arrow points were traded for furs and other Indian items, and it was possible that these metal points and etc. could possibly be present on this site.
After getting permission to metal detect, I immediately went to work searching the site. I wasn't into the field 15 minutes when I got my first signal, and there it was, my first copper arrowhead. ''Woo Hoo''! ( And I actually did a happy dance)
After calming down I started swinging my detector hoping for another one. After searching a couple more minutes I got another signal, at first I thought it was a bent up piece of a copper tube, but later when I showed it to ''Larson 1951'', he told me that it was a bangle that was worn on the dance dresses. Larson 1951 did tell me that these copper artifacts are not that common, but they are the highlight of my visit to North Dakota.

Here are these copper items, Hope you like them a much as I did in finding them!

folder 3 001.JPG folder 3 002.JPG

Thanks For Viewing!

Upvote 9

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds old digger. Looks like you had a great vacation. Hope all is well and the weather is good for you.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Only one response, and 200 views!!!!! What is the purpose of taking the time to post anything in the first place!!!!!!

Last edited:

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds ..thanks for posting the pictures.. Did you .find any Beads or pottery? HHing

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're recoveries would definately make for an OUTSTANDING vacation in my book :thumbsup:

I've personally found several native american copper culture items in Illinois & Wisconsin
but have yet to find any trade copper such as yours. . . well done!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds ..thanks for posting the pictures.. Did you .find any Beads or pottery? HHing

Yes there was pottery shards all through out the field. I did a post on my pottery finds in the American Indian Forum.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super finds there, congrats !!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Love the copper point! :notworthy::occasion18: Possibly the reason that many who viewed didn't post is because they're JEALOUS, just as I am! My initial reaction was, "Wow", then brain grumbling grouchily, "Why wasn't it ME?" :tongue3::laughing7: lol

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there my friend!! I am definitely jealous as well. Everyone deserves an "attaboy" , but I think confidence in yourself and what you do is what able some of to humble ourselves in order to pass it on to our friends in the field. Great find, hope you are able one day to make the journey down to Missouri for another vacation. I know we would have a blast!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your kind responses!

Love the copper point! :notworthy::occasion18: Possibly the reason that many who viewed didn't post is because they're JEALOUS, just as I am! My initial reaction was, "Wow", then brain grumbling grouchily, "Why wasn't it ME?" :tongue3::laughing7: lol

Well, with all your wonderful responses and jealous remarks, I was hoping for some banner votes since these artifacts are not that common to find. And the fact that most of those in the American Indian Forum do not realize how difficult to is to find a copper bangle and a copper trade point, especially west of the Mississippi.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger, that point is awesome! I'd have done the dance, too. You just don't find those things..

Thanks for all the kind words! I sure did a dance, that's for sure, most people do not understand the likelihood of finding one of these artifacts.
Or maybe I should ask, ''When was the last time that anyone of you found a copper trade point or a copper bangle? :icon_scratch:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,thats my definition of a great trip,great company,walking historic rich ground and finding exceptionally RARE goods!!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, nice finds and congrats! :icon_thumright:

Second, I don't want to extinguish that passionate flame you have so please forgive me if I don't word this properly.
Your squashed tube-like find is called a jangler or tinkling cone not a bangle. A bangle is a type of bracelet.
Janglers which I know you were meaning, usually taper to look like a cone.
Yours is tube like and could have been used as a jangler, a hair tube, or a fishing jig.
In any case, undamaged janglers can be quite abundant if you're in the right spot, as can points that were made from kettle metal, butt plates (musket guns) or any other scrap metal.
A bigger challenge is to set your disc. low and dig the iron points, which many were made from barrel hoop or strapping.
Almost all the different tribes of Plains Indians made these and even blacksmiths at local trade posts or forts manufactured points for trade.
They also made spear points and various other shapes and sizes.
Both blacksmith and Native made points can vary in design depending what region you find them in.
The Mandans weren't too far away from me either.

Third, with my first "Muddyhandz" account, I used to frequent the fur trade forum quite a bit and posted all kinds of rare incredible finds only to receive kudos from a dedicated few. Even posted in "Today's finds" as well.
This sort of genre receives very little appreciation and if you do make the banner, then that means I should win hundreds of times over.;D
Not trying to pee on your cornflakes. I've been around the block and know a little about this.
I agree with you and your point is still more rare and incredible than most coins that get all the limelight.
I can remember the excitement of digging my first copper point and it still brings a smile to my face.
Hang in there and you will meet a few who love this sort of thing that have lots of knowledge (and finds) to share.
You'll find similar artifacts in Montana if you know where to look.:wink:
Cheers,
Dave.

P.M. if you have any questions or if you want to chat about the fur trade.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Dave, I really appreciate your input! :notworthy: You are right about the ''little appreciation'' for these ''trade'' artifacts. And yes, I see that you know the exhilaration when you find a copper point. I did find a metal trade point several years back.

folder 2 017.JPG

It was a surface find, but the chances of detecting a field and the chances of finding a small copper point in a 30 acre field is something else.

Thanks again, Dave!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread