Carson City Morgan Dollar Insanity!!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carson City Morgan Dollar Insanity!! Long Story but Worth It

Hello there fellow treasure hunters,

This might not be the most orthodox "treasure find" but it was to me and i decided to share it with everybody on here. I'm a very new member on here and joined because i had an interest in getting a metal detector and combing the family lands back east.

I also happen to be an avid estate/garage sale frequenter and this is where my story starts.

Work had been a total bear and i was looking forward to my long weekend but work had other plans. They were trying to get me to come in on friday, which wasn't going to happen, because I work 10+ hour days and i use the Friday/Saturdays off to hunt at sales.

As i was enjoying my Friday off, with no particular sale to go to, i decided to swing by the UPS store and ship out something. On the way there, i noticed a house on a side street with a lot of old, yellowed cardboard boxes on the driveway. I said "what the hell" and turned around. The people in the garage said they were prepping for a one day sale on saturday. They drove in from out of state to stage and sell the entire contents of the home. Once the sale was over, they were out the door and not coming back. since they were lacking in the man-power department, they asked If i wanted to help out, and if i did, i could buy anything i found.:thumbsup:

Now i could not turn down an offer like that, especially since the lady obviously needed help with the heavy stuff so off i went. There must of been hundreds of boxes of stuff. There were tools, housewares, car stuff and tons of old radio items. I ended up buying a lot of radio stuff from the 1940s for my brother and i bought lots of tools. As i was looking for a box to load my junk in, i saw a box with a bunch of car manuals on the bottom. They were all 1960s GM vehicles so i dumped my stuff in there and loaded it up.

The next day was a busy one and i never got a chance to really sort though much of my buys. This isn't unusual, my garage is full of boxes dated from when they were purchased, awaiting sorting and being listed on ebay.

Late sunday evening i was able to finally check out my tools and car manuals. To my immediate dismay, the box only had 5 manuals on the bottom......or so i thought. Underneath the manuals, i saw a even layer of dark blue boxes. I fished one out and opened it up. Inside were another 5 individual boxes.

At this point, i'm starting to get really excited so i open the box. Inside of the small box is a presentation case with a sealed GSA Carson City Morgan Silver Dollar inside. :headbang:

Then i do the math. 5 per box, 9 boxes= 45 coins + another 20 individual mailers. You could buy the coins originally in a bulk pack of 5 or "premium" coins individually.

The worst part about finding them was there was nobody home to celebrate with. I don't think my cat will ever look at me the same after our celebration dance that afternoon.

Once the girlfriend got home, i told her and she was blown away. 65 uncirculated CC Morgan dollars, hidden in a box, in the back of a dirty old garage. IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0342.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy mackerel! That is amazing! I read on the cards it says the coins have heavy scratches or tarnish? They look really nice to me, and a super score either way. Can you see any scratches?

Night Owl

Aug 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job
Now go out an actually do some MDing
Wonder what you'll buy now
Good News
Thanks

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find! Well, you can buy any metal detector you want now, and still have treasure to hoard! Get digging!

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find , what are the mint years , and what value , congrats .. cheers Mick

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1973-74 when the GSA sold the CC dollar hoard found in a federal reserve vault, the numerical grading system was not yet invented and precise grading was not as it is today. All the coins that were stained, tarnished, soft strikes or heavily bagmarked (labeled as scratched) were sold at a discount from the better looking ones. I think those were $15 a coin and were just marked "silver dollar" instead of "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" on the slab. They were in fact still uncirculated coins that in today's grading standards would grade MS60-61.

You are one lucky fella!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find but if it were me that helped with the carrying and sorting of stuff and I found that I had inadvertently scored a bunch of "CC" Morgan Dollars while trying to find a box to use, I would at least try to make it right! This was apparently some sort of an Estate sell-off and the folks either did not know their' relative had the "CC" Morgan Dollars or they did not know which box they were in. They may actually be trying to find out what happened to the coins. I am sorry if it sounds like I am raining on your' parade but if it were me, I would do everything possible to contact them and work out a payment for the coins! These coins were apparently hierlooms left behind for one or more of the family members to have or benefit from. In reality, you have 65 holdered GSA Morgan "CC" Dollars worth approximately $200 each not factoring in any Semi-Key and Key Dates which you may have, that have a gross value of $13,000 and possibly more.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1973-74 when the GSA sold the CC dollar hoard found in a federal reserve vault, the numerical grading system was not yet invented and precise grading was not as it is today. All the coins that were stained, tarnished, soft strikes or heavily bagmarked (labeled as scratched) were sold at a discount from the better looking ones. I think those were $15 a coin and were just marked "silver dollar" instead of "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" on the slab. They were in fact still uncirculated coins that in today's grading standards would grade MS60-61.

You are one lucky fella!

You hit it dead on!! All of the coins in the blue 5-packs are labeled Silver Dollar while all of the ones in white are "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" All were uncirculated but were put into different categories due to our ever insightful goverment. Of all the coins in the lot, some of the very best came from the "heavily scratches/marked/tarnished" pile. From what i've been told by the other coins guys i've spoke with, if you worked at the GSA and could count change, you were a coin grading expert.

I've pulled at least 6 MS-65 from the "scratched/marked" pile and nothing over a MS-62 from the "prime selection" pile.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find but if it were me that helped with the carrying and sorting of stuff and I found that I had inadvertently scored a bunch of "CC" Morgan Dollars while trying to find a box to use, I would at least try to make it right! This was apparently some sort of an Estate sell-off and the folks either did not know their' relative had the "CC" Morgan Dollars or they did not know which box they were in. They may actually be trying to find out what happened to the coins. I am sorry if it sounds like I am raining on your' parade but if it were me, I would do everything possible to contact them and work out a payment for the coins! These coins were apparently hierlooms left behind for one or more of the family members to have or benefit from. In reality, you have 65 holdered GSA Morgan "CC" Dollars worth approximately $200 each not factoring in any Semi-Key and Key Dates which you may have, that have a gross value of $13,000 and possibly more.

Frank

Like i said, they were only in town for a few days and were long gone before i ever found the pile in the bottom of the box. I've driven back by a few times and the home appears to be renovated/re-habbed but not lived in and already up for another sale. It was a quick investment property flip with no real current occupants.

If they had any idea about the coins being there, well... thats anybody's guess. It looks like the coins were placed there a long time ago and were in the "reject" pile. Lots of the boxes has little notations on them regarding condition, markings, brilliance, toning and other factors related to grading. I've got a feeling the good coins were already passed on the the family and these were just the "junk" coins that were already sorted out from the 5 coin grab boxes.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find , what are the mint years , and what value , congrats .. cheers Mick

They all fall within the span of 3 years, 1882, 83, 84. The value varies because none of them are professionally graded but a few are definite MS-65 so it ranges from $9000-13,000

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Like i said, they were only in town for a few days and were long gone before i ever found the pile in the bottom of the box. I've driven back by a few times and the home appears to be renovated/re-habbed but not lived in and already up for another sale. It was a quick investment property flip with no real current occupants.

If they had any idea about the coins being there, well... thats anybody's guess. It looks like the coins were placed there a long time ago and were in the "reject" pile. Lots of the boxes has little notations on them regarding condition, markings, brilliance, toning and other factors related to grading. I've got a feeling the good coins were already passed on the the family and these were just the "junk" coins that were already sorted out from the 5 coin grab boxes.

I understand what you are saying! However, even if it was a quick investment property flip, the coins belonged to the previous owner and if deceased, then they belong to his' or her' heirs. The choice to do the right thing is up to you! If it were me, I would find out who the previous owner was and if living return the coins or make an offer and if deceased, I would contact the heir's and do the same. However, that is just me and it in no way, obligates you to do the same!

No one just throws out or away $9,000 to $13,000 worth of coins! There must be a reason why they were left behind.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you are saying! However, even if it was a quick investment property flip, the coins belonged to the previous owner and if deceased, then they belong to his' or her' heirs. The choice to do the right thing is up to you! If it were me, I would find out who the previous owner was and if living return the coins or make an offer and if deceased, I would contact the heir's and do the same. However, that is just me and it in no way, obligates you to do the same!

No one just throws out or away $9,000 to $13,000 worth of coins! There must be a reason why they were left behind.

Frank

I understand what you are saying as well and i've gone by but nobody lives at the house. The property changed hands and now it sits, empty. There is no real estate agent to contact or current occupant to ask. I would be happy to talk to the deceased owners family but they are not located in my state and remain anonymous. I've contacted another RE agent in the area to see if they know who sold it but they have yet to call back.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand what you are saying as well and i've gone by but nobody lives at the house. The property changed hands and now it sits, empty. There is no real estate agent to contact or current occupant to ask. I would be happy to talk to the deceased owners family but they are not located in my state and remain anonymous. I've contacted another RE agent in the area to see if they know who sold it but they have yet to call back.

Well, if you have done all of the that, I applaud you for the effort and you should have a clear mind!

Frank

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I have to agree with Frank. The coins weren't part of the sale. You should try to find the owners. If you have no luck then their yours.

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find! They are all yours!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, that is some cool luck there! I remember when the CC dollars were offered for sale back in the 70's, I can still see the ad in the paper imprinted on my mind. I was just a poor farm kid back then and couldn't afford to buy some. I sure wish I had made a way to get some looking back now.

Steve

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

odds are The box would have been put up for a $1.00 without ever looking.
Perhaps even sent to the landfill as overburden :unhappysmiley:
if not for your luck.

I'll say good score for your labor & leave it at that.
Your officially a treasure Finder :laughing7:

Note to everyone who reads.
Judgements that are Not welcome,
or are harped on over & over can be a threat to memberships.
Keep things in line.

Last edited:

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
It didn't sound like people who were trying to squeeze every dime out of it. Otherwise, they would have hired professionals. Probably would have been happy to sell them to you cheap. Would that be criminal? No. It's a good thing you were there first!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread