Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5

Attachments

• Four Tags (2).jpg
    Four Tags (2).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 6,480
Upvote 0
P

pokerbear

Nice finds but it is truley unfortunate that such things were ever in use.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
These thing do go for a pretty penny I believe.

Nice looking finds I must say.

Gary

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
pokerbear said:
Nice finds but it is truley unfortunate that such things were ever in use.

You are right..there are a lot of things in our past that probably should not have happened and a lot in the present that is wrong...but I prefer to let the relics be what they are..relics and no more....thanks......B.H.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are in really good shape! Did you clean them up or did they look that good when you dug them?

I be a museum would be willing to pay a decent price for those types of finds if you would be willing to part with them.

congrats on the truly rare finds!

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
its_toby said:
Those are in really good shape! Did you clean them up or did they look that good when you dug them?

I be a museum would be willing to pay a decent price for those types of finds if you would be willing to part with them.

congrats on the truly rare finds!

They come out of the ground dirty..and are lightly cleaned..no scrubbing allowed :) ;D

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we sure these are not just occupational license tags? I don't think we can be certain on how these tags were looked upon during the stated time period. I don't think the term, "Slave hire tags" may be 100 percent correct. Freemen may have also been required to use them. Slave s were a merchandise with papers just as land,, etc. during that time period. Not trying to stur the pot, just looking at facts I have studied. Remember the history of yesterday is oft changed to fit the politics of today. They are wonderful items of history, no matter how you look at them.
DG

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
dg39 said:
Are we sure these are not just occupational license tags? I don't think we can be certain on how these tags were looked upon during the stated time period. I don't think the term, "Slave hire tags" may be 100 percent correct. Freemen may have also been required to use them. Slave s were a merchandise with papers just as land,, etc. during that time period. Not trying to stur the pot, just looking at facts I have studied. Remember the history of yesterday is oft changed to fit the politics of today. They are wonderful items of history, no matter how you look at them.
DG

All slave owners were required by the city of Charleston to purchase "hire badges" each year for their slaves.It was a form of tax and revenue for the city.Please refer to:Slave Badges and the Slave-Hire System in Charleston,South Carolina,1783-1865 by,Harlan Greene,Harry S.Hutchins,Jr. and Brian E.Hutchins...available at all major book stores and online.......B.H.

P.S.They are called "slave hire badges" in the Charleston City papers and minutes.The book I referred to you will tell you how many were made each year,what they cost to make and the revenue realized by the City.Charleston,S.C.is the only city that required slaves to have badges.All others from elsewhere are fakes or "fantasy" pieces.You might want to study these facts to increase your understanding of these relics..I have...Thanks for your response....B.H. :) :)

P.P.S.
You are correct..freemen were also required to have a hire badge..theirs had the word " Free " engraved on them.. with a liberty pole and liberty cap on them..There are only 3 known " free " badges..one is pictured in the book I spoke about..

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, Oprah and Bill Cosby both have quite a personal collection of slavery exonumia, including tags.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
nice digs,a Large piece of U.S. history there.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice, Congrats!
After looking at a few of these, I'll have to start checking some of my little pieces of scap copper, and brass a little closer...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

MrWheatie

Greenie
Jan 26, 2007
Franklinville, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and XLT
We don't find (m)any of those around my neck of the woods (SW-NY). I only dream of such finds. Great collection........The one and only MrWheatie.

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
FMarion2ndRegSC said:
If I'm not mistaken, Oprah and Bill Cosby both have quite a personal collection of slavery exonumia, including tags.

I don't think They buy slave tags anymore.They bought a lot of fakes and reproductions from dishonest sellers..so they stopped buying any....B.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread