Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tesoro.jpg IMAG0704.jpg IMG_0189.JPG

Until recently, my buddy and I spent most every weekend detecting in the woods around Vicksburg. An old man would let us park in his driveway and scan his property, which was sizable and had many old house sites on it. Sadly, he has passed away, but before he left us I found a small cache of coins buried near one of the old cisterns. It's the first and only time I've ever found gold and he was kind enough to let me keep it. We took a pic of them with my detector so I could show Tesoro what their machine found. I went back the next day and found two more that I had missed. I took a pic of those two when I found them and then we took a picture of all the coins together. The find totaled 25 $5 gold eagles, dated from 1834 to 1856. It paid off my car, the one I totaled a year later.:BangHead:

Last edited:
Upvote 8

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great story! Too bad about the car though...hope you had insurance!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet find that is a find of lifetime HH

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find , one Gold coin is outstanding 25 is once in a lifetime , plus the age as well , just gotta wonder if it was a hidden cache or proceeds from a robbery or just plain lost , anyways congrats on an incredible find . cheers Mick

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! What a haul! Hindsight is 20:20 but I'll say it anyway: I generally keep my best finds, even if that means continuing to make car payments! I found a Rolex valued at $5000+ that I could sell any time I want to, but I know I'll never find another!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that awesome find! :icon_thumleft: Guess those with the top of the line detectors who say Tesoro detectors are just toys, would probably drool over your discovery! You can't get any better than this! HHing! Hope you find another!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dynomite! What a find, a few golden moments there! Thank you for sharing and thank you to the kind and generous land owner and may he rest in peace.............................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that awesome find! :icon_thumleft: Guess those with the top of the line detectors who say Tesoro detectors are just toys, would probably drool over your discovery! You can't get any better than this! HHing! Hope you find another!

You said it, Newfiehunter! I bought my Silver Sabre II in Vicksburg, 1995, and have used the heck out of it without fail. I slipped and fell on it a month ago, causing its first ever damage. When I found the Tesoro number and called with my sob-story, they just politely asked for my address and three days later I got a brand new armrest for it! Amazing!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You said it, Newfiehunter! I bought my Silver Sabre II in Vicksburg, 1995, and have used the heck out of it without fail. I slipped and fell on it a month ago, causing its first ever damage. When I found the Tesoro number and called with my sob-story, they just politely asked for my address and three days later I got a brand new armrest for it! Amazing!

Of course it is not just the detector...but it does take skill and savvy to make a find like that! That is one dream find! You also made Tesoro very proud! Good luck!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for posting your awesome golden finds!!!!

Anyone can say what they like about Tesoro detectors, IMHO they make some great detectors and what other detector company gives a LIFETIME warranty(?), there used to other companies out there that did but only Tesoro still has that kind of confidence in their products, that says a lot if you ask me!!!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Amazing story and find.
I'd still take a Tesoro over any machine worth 5x more anyday of the week.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found enough clad to pay for my tesoro bandido 3 times over. I also own a minelab explorer. For me, hunting in the brush, the bandido is hands down the better machine. Weighs about 2 lbs! In gold and silver, i've found enough to pay for it twice. Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hunt, finding all of those coins! Truly amazing.:headbang:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, awesome coins.:occasion14:

Did you search that area extra hard? Where there is one cache like that, there is often more. I would grid as big of area as possible around the site.

Good Luck, thanks for sharing your find.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, awesome coins.:occasion14:

Did you search that area extra hard? Where there is one cache like that, there is often more. I would grid as big of area as possible around the site.

Good Luck, thanks for sharing your find.

I went back two more times and scanned the area. There was very old evidence of digging around another nearby cistern, and a third cistern had a few bricks missing inside the neck, but, other than a seated liberty dime, 1842, there was nothing else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread