Penny for your thoughts...well maybe not THIS penny

D

Dragonscaletattoo

Took a break from detecting for a few years and decided this spring to get back into it with a good friend. One of
the first coins this year was this low mintage 1804 Large Cent, possibly underwater for over 200 years!
What is neat about this find is that the coins were about 2 feet apart in the same flowing stream about a foot down.
One came up with great detail and the other encrusted and corroded away. The lock was nearby and is said to be
of British make. Upon finding
this stuff there was various flailing about, hopping and even some fern licking.
IMG_20130519_132225.jpg
Obverse_1804.jpg
Reverse_1804.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.. That's an awesome coin.. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the success..

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Super find. Any idea on what accounts for the difference in condition of the two coins? Something obviously shielded/protected the 1804.

OP
OP
D

Dragonscaletattoo

All I can think of is that the angle at which they laid in the sandy gravel of the stream bed had something to do with it. Even the condition of the coins at the time they went in. Maybe one had some type of substance on it that protected or eroded it more. I was blown away at the detail left on that thing.

Last edited:

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds! Just think, Lewis and/or Clark may have held or dropped that coin, depending where found of course, but its fun to think of the history that was happening at that time! Can't wait to find out what its graded as! Congrats!

PS: What is "fern licking"?? Must of been very excited !

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dragonscaletattoo

Fern licking is where you are so excited you drop to your knees and lick the nearest plant life..in this case a fern. Luckily there wasn't a poison ivy patch instead.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Wow! The detail on that coin is incredible! What's your prediction on the grade?

OP
OP
D

Dragonscaletattoo

I suppose i'm hoping for F or VF but like i said i will let that to the pros hehe. It does have some corrosion but a lot of the fine lines are there which I think will push it up on the scale a bit. Very happy I had the big shovel that day (i like to take big scoops so there's less of a chance of damaging whatever i'm digging out)

Last edited:

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome find! (But I think I'd keep the fern licking to myself...)

One thing about grading, I understand most graders won't grade a weathered coin, even if it is in really nice shape. Let us know how it goes?

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL. Poison ivy tongue and lips suck!

OP
OP
D

Dragonscaletattoo

Nah they'll just give it a "details" grade, listing corrosion or environmental damage on the capsule, along with the regular grade.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread