Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad and I loved to hike in the woods every weekend....sometimes stumbling upon an old cellarhole. I was always fascinated with the cellarholes we would find, always trying to visualize what it would be like to live there and amazed that somebody lived so far into the woods so long ago. I didn't know back then to look for other signs of their life...like to look for the barn foundation, an old well, old ground cover or daffodils, or the always-present apple orchard. I always dreamed of owning a metal detector and detecting these forgotten places.

One of the places we would hike to was an old house foundation about 1 1/2 miles from our house. It was always hard for me to find because there were no roads leading to it...and to me it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere. The foundation was on my 1878 map of my county...but not on the 1909 US Geological survey map....so I knew it would be a good one to hunt. Sites like this are great because almost EVERYTHING you dig is old...and there's hardly any junk to be found...just great old relics...and clues to how people lived over 100 years ago.

WeilerFoundation copy.jpg

My chance to hunt these cellarholes finally came when my husband surprised me with a Whites Prizm IV on the Christmas of 2004. :o :o It was something I had always wanted but I could never justify the purchase of. I spent a lot of time after Christmas practicing in my yard, at parks, and at schools, learning all the signals that my detector was telling me...digging plenty of clad and junk along the way.

Well, finally I had a free Saturday to detect. The weather was beautiful in NW PA. I decided to detect this old foundation. Because of the distance, I asked my husband, Don, to take me on the four wheeler. Being the geniuses that we are, we put my detector across the back of the four wheeler without shortening the shaft so it stuck out a little on both sides. The trail is wide almost the whole way to the foundation so it shouldn't be a problem, right?? :-\

Well...you can guess what happened. My husband decided to drive right up to the site where the trees are closer together. As I'm yelling at him to stop, he tried to squeeze between two trees...and snapped the shaft on my detector. I was so upset. I've been dreaming about detecting this foundation since my hikes with my dad, 30 years earlier. :'(

I asked him to go fix it (OK....really I told him to go fix it) while I waited for him. In the meantime, I spent my time looking over the area. In addition to the house foundation, I found a huge foundation where the barn sat. I also found rock piles all over the area where they piled the rocks they removed from their planted fields.

WeilerHouse.JPG

WeilerBarnFoundation.JPG

After about an hour, my husband returned and, he had fixed my detector as good as new. I finally started hunting around the house area. Don apparently thought I wouldn't find anything so he started planting a few coins around the house when I wasn't looking. I told him to stop it..(OK...really my exact words were "Knock it off!".)...that I would find my own coins....and just as I said that....I got a great signal on my detector. It read in the quarter range. I dug a few inches down and picked up a coin that I had never seen before. I just handed it to my husband and did the screamingest happy dance that you had ever seen. Really, you had never seen or done a crazier happy dance than the one I did. ;D ;D ;D

I love this hobby. :)

Attachments

• 1847lgcentapr8,2005.jpg
    1847lgcentapr8,2005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5,018
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Bad luck...great luck New Pictures Added. (See later post.)

:D :D :D April 10, 2005 :D :D :D

Thanks for the nice words, guys......thanks for digging this back out, Gypsy.....and for the harassment, Greenie.....and Sherm for tuggng at my heart strings, again. ::) ::) :-* :-*

That was a exciting day for me....I've since dug up 10 more large cents, and I still get the same thrill each time....minus the out-of-control happy dance. Now I just do a little choreographed jig each time. ;)

I'm only 41% ready to come back to posting....but y'all can visit me in the yakroom everynight around 9:00 pm est. ;) :D ;D

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

cooltext62110502.gif

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Great find! Congrats!

HH!

-CC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Bad luck...great luck! The whole story!

ah its been setting there "waiting" all this time ----"just" for you === it's most likely been thinking "whats" taking her so long" to get to me? --- ;D --- Ivan

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bad luck...great luck! The whole story!

cool finds.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked.gif
C
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
g
shocked.gif
r
shocked.gif
a
shocked.gif
t
shocked.gif
u
shocked.gif
l
shocked.gif
a
shocked.gif
t
shocked.gif
i
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
s
shocked.gif

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been out 5 times. Spent nearly 2 hours each time I went out. For all that hunting, I have found over 72 coins. No silver or gold, all of it is clad and modern. However, I think the experience is good for me and I am certainly getting more and more familiar with the tones and signs. Next weekend I am going to a Lake beach. I hope I have luck like you and find silver or rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread