CACHE Upate with PIC - I added some neat INFO.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(71 coins total)... They were in a old mason jar buried about 9 inches down...Needless to say I broke the jar with my gator before I even knew what I had found...? It was a very interesting cache with American and foreign coins...Sorry about the pic, not that great of quality, but it was done fairly quickly. The newest and oldest are in red, so this jar had been in the ground since at least 1953...

It included the following:

(2) 1941 Standing Liberty Halfs
(1) 1953 Franklin Half
(4) Merc's 24,42,43,45
(3) Barber Dimes 06,07,14
(4) Indian Cents 75,82,90,99
(6) Liberty Nickels 10,10,03,03,02,08
(1) Shield Nickel w/Rays 1867
(24) Buffalo Nickels Various dates (20-30's)
(2) Canadian 5 Cents 1880,1910
(1) Canadian Dime 1870
(1) One Penny Bank Token - Upper Bank of Canada 1852
(1) Empire Francais Dix Centimes - Napoleon III Empereur 1856
(21) Canadian One Cent - 1859,76,88,1900,1902,1907.? 1909-1920 (10,12,17,20 dups)

Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 18,465
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ctalmadg

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CACHE Upate with PIC

You bet i'm heading back! It is funny you mention the bills....I was thinking the same thing!! There is quite a large amount off area that has immature or no trees (usually meaning there was a structure there in the past)...so I'm buying a spare set of 9's and heading back there Sat. I'll keep you all updated! After this site I have another 5 miles of lake front on this side of the lake and another 7 on the other side! Anyone ever going to the Rochester, NY area email me..I'll show you the spot..(I'll have to blindfold you until we get there though! ;) )

Here is the history of the lakes (Yeah..there are 2) I have not even dectected at the second one yet.

Hemlock & Canadice Lake Water Supply History

1876 - Conduit I, Rush Reservoir and Highland Reservoir construction was completed and started to deliver water to the City's distribution system.
1894 - Conduit II construction was completed, including 1550-foot Hemlock Lake intake pipe and two-mile brick tunnel.
1896 - City purchased St. James Hotel and 55 other buildings on Hemlock Lake. Acquisition and removal of all Hemlock and Canadice Lakes' shoreline properties was completed in the early 1950's.
1901 - Hemlock Gatehouse was constructed.
1902 - City began a program to reforest recently acquired property. Over three million trees were planted over the next 30 years.
1909 - Cobbs Hill Reservoir construction was completed.
1918 - Conduit III construction was completed.
1919 - Canadice tunnel was put in service to divert water from Curved Dam on Canadice Outlet into Hemlock Lake.
1927 - Hemlock dike was raised.
1936 - New spillway was built at Hemlock Lake.
1937 - Canadice Lake dam was built.
1943 - A program for cleaning and lining conduits with cement was started.
1947 - Canadice dike was raised.
1948 - Canadice Lake Pump House and Wayland Dam were built.
1965 - Hemlock Pump Station and tunnel bypass were completed.
1972 - Hurricane Agnes washed out Curved Dam on Canadice Outlet (rebuilt in 1973).
1983 - Cobbs Hill Reservoir was rehabilitated.
1992 - Rush Reservoir was rehabilitated.
1993 - Hemlock Water Filtration Plant construction was completed.

Here is what the lake looks like now...I found the cache at the bottom right of the pic... so you can get a idea of how big the area is..
http://www.ramairskyways.com/HTML/GT_photos/Hemlock Lake, NY_.JPG

Here is a map I found of the cottages etc. on the lake in 1883...So I have a idea of who may have buried the cache..

Happy Hunting...

Floater said:
EXCELLENT. I would be heading back there to see if some more can be found. Usually they would bury one with certain coins and then another with other coins and then one with the bills in it. If the lids are still giving a signal then you may find some nice silver notes and the like. Good Luck and thanks for sharing the story.HH

Attachments

• hemlock_lake_map.jpg
    hemlock_lake_map.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16,870
T

Timmyjohn

This gives the rest of use a feeling of hope that there still are great finds in the ground.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
I'm speechless. I can only imagine how excited you must have been.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

B

BIG61AL

Super duper cache find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simply outstanding. Good for you!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND!!!! You might want to take a look at the area with Google Earth. It could help you pinpoint the residences and hotels. You've got a really fantastic site.
Deepsix

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WOW!! Just came across this post. You found what we all are looking for!! BIG congratulations on an awesome find!!

Happy Hunting to you,
Moon

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the cache stash!

I found your lake(s) on the USGS topo maps (surveyed 1901). MOST of the homes/buildings shown on your 1883 are GONE by 1901!

Possibly already underwater? Torn down? Who knows!

Looks like a great place to detect for the next few YEARS.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions